NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, what Americans are these Germans hanging around with anyway? So instead of working on a next generation New Beetle or bringing over the Polo we get a tricycle. This is what they think Americans want? This is their solution to solving the fuel economy problem? Have they ever heard of a thing called winter? How about rain? They want $17,000 for this which could buy you a nice Polo if only they would sell them here. I can understand this being of interest if you're into motorcycles but that isn't even how they want to market it. I for one would rather they work on the next generation of gas, diesel and hybrid cars. This is just a waste of resources. Look at all the projects that have been cut recently.

LINK

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday about VW and their problems in America. They did mention that vehicle. It is only geared towards Southern California, so winter won't be a problem for it.

Still, the article hit on a lot of subjects. Basically said VW doesn't listen to their consumers, and has been losing market share as a result.

The thing that saddened me most is that the article says what they haven't listened to is that American's want bigger, easier to drive vehicles. So much for a "driver's" car. It mentioned that Americans are so busy while they drive (Eating, talking on the phone, working, etc.) that VW is now going to gear vehicles towards these types of lifestyles. Bigger, more cupholders, all automatics, etc.

:(

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This would sell well in California because it would give the would-be hipsters and wannabe posers the counterculture motorcycle he desparately needs. :)

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts

As a Car it needs

1) a soft top.

2) heat.

3) airbags.

4) A Stereo

5) A windshield

As a Motorcycle it needs.

1) More horsepower, at least 180bhp.

2) Shaft or belt drive

As a car it does a pretty poor job of protecting the occupents and is super quick.

As a Motorcycle it is bog slow, too wide, too heavy and TOO SLOW. Pretty much all the disadvantages of a motorcycle and a car with out any of the advantages.

Now the real question is.... Would I buy one for $17,000?????

Well yes I guess I might...

I really think that they need to offer up 3 versions of this thing.

Version one for the green team. drop in a Lupo 3L Tdi or simalar diesel. It would still be super quick and get huge mpgs.

Version two.. exactly like it is.. we could consider this the base model.

Version three.. either with a 200hp NA 1400cc 12,000rpm engine or with a 200hp Turbo motor. I would prefer the NA version but would snap up the Turbo in a heartbeat.

Quite frankly I don't care a bit about the weather protection as I am allready an avid motorcyclist so for me this would just be about the coolest daily driver I could imagine. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pdoel said:
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday about VW and their problems in America. They did mention that vehicle. It is only geared towards Southern California, so winter won't be a problem for it.

Still, the article hit on a lot of subjects. Basically said VW doesn't listen to their consumers, and has been losing market share as a result.

The thing that saddened me most is that the article says what they haven't listened to is that American's want bigger, easier to drive vehicles. So much for a "driver's" car. It mentioned that Americans are so busy while they drive (Eating, talking on the phone, working, etc.) that VW is now going to gear vehicles towards these types of lifestyles. Bigger, more cupholders, all automatics, etc.

:(
The point is this is not something VW needs to help improve their lineup. A vehicle designed for the southern portion of a single state is nonsense. Let me guess, these Moonraker guys are all living in southern California? Wouldn't it have been better to have them placed around the country in different climates and conditions?

Yes, it is sad that the average American is more concerned with blabbing on their phones while stuffing their face than driving but that is probably the one accurate finding they came up with. VW customers are not your average Americans though or at least I like to think so. I thought big gas gusslers were on their way out anyway.

What gets me is that people on every VW messageboard and everyone I speak with personally thinks they should sell the Polo here in the US, especially the new crossPolo. It's a car that already exists so it's not the most difficult thing in the world to do. So why don't they do it? Maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign or something.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.
I would buy it.

--- did I meantion I WOULD BUY IT ---

Why not?
For just commuting to work/school and back it would be excellent. As long as I didnt get hit by the rediculous HUMMERS & EXCURSIONS on the road.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
digitalputty said:
Why not?
For just commuting to work/school and back it would be excellent. As long as I didnt get hit by the rediculous HUMMERS & EXCURSIONS on the road.
No roof. No doors. No airbags. You get hit by anything and you're history. With a motorcycle at least you can get out of the way since it's small and super maneuverable but this is more like a car only without any protection whatsoever. Are you going to drive it in the snow? If so are you are going to freeze. No windscreen either and you're going to have to wear a helmet. This seems like an expensive toy to me. I can see someone who's into motorcycles buying it (I believe you will need a motorcycle license to drive it) but as a solution to an economical fuel efficient car it makes no sense.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
What doesnt make sense are the freakin' huge vehicles on the road with one person in them that get 10mpg (being generous). If everyone (or most people) were to drive smaller more efficient vehicles ... blah blah blah.

Where I am ... we dont get much snow. If any ... and when it does snow it melts the same day. Im sure someone in Wisconsin wouldn't get it to drive everyday. :p If you compare this GX3 to something of a comprable price ... this is giving you more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I hate SUVs as much as you do but I don't think we need to drive a go-cart in order to be more economical. Volkswagen has a 1.4 TSI and a 2.0 TDI that are both very economical not to mention hybrid designs they are working on. Bring the Polo and crossPolo over with those engines. Problem solved. How much would a Polo cost over here? Probably about the same as the GX3 and you would get a much, much, much safer car complete with a roof, doors and storage space.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fowvay said:
I don't see this as a vehicle to sell to the masses but it would still be fun to have.
They can build pogo sticks for all I care as long as they don't consider a pogo stick their vehicle for the masses. That's all I'm saying.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
That thing is fugly And there is a reason it is shaped like a coffin. I would'nt give 17 cents for one its way to ugly for me. I would feel like a tard driving it.:)

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Lighten up guys! You act as though you are all being required to trade in your NB's on this thing... It is what it is; an interesting, most likely low volume oddity, at best a 'remember when' vehicle. Doesn't the new GTI prove to you that VWoA is starting to get it together a little bit? We as a country are unfortunately dumbing down the automotive world with more demands being made upon manufacturers to make living rooms on wheels. But that also opens up the market for more "ba%$s to the walls" hot rods from the factory. Look around, horsepower figures are rising steadily every year, so much so that it seems like the musclecar era is coming back.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Come on, guy... it's a concept car. VW isn't saying "this'll be in our line-up next year". Chances are excellent that it'll never get produced. It's just a fun rig that the designers put together for "shock and awe". So what's everyone screaming about??

A vehicle designed for the southern portion of a single state is nonsense.
Well... no, it's not. If the lion's share of folks with enough disposable income to drop $17,000 on a weekend toy are in said portion of said state... it makes perfect sense.

Though, personally, the three-wheeled Carver would be a better bet. If you watched TopGear, you've seen it in action. And it's awesome. 16v turbo 659cc engine gets you up to 115mph. And it corners like a... er... well... I can't think of any analogous creature that corners like this thing. Still... I wouldn't take it in the snow. If memory serves... it's considerably more than $17k.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts