NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here, in the market for a new vehicle to replace my 1991 Oldsmobile Toronado, and the NB is high on my list of replacement vehicles. I was on Autotrader looking at various Beetles, and I found one that I had never seen before, a blue 2003 1.8 Turbo GLS with special sport seats and 2-tone black and blue leather interior.....I instantly fell in love with that car! I also found another 2003 which was red with a black and red interior, and one with green. I noticed that the console had a different arm rest setup also, with a 6 disc cd changer. I like that armrest much better than the usual "free standing" type. Now to the questions:

1 Was this the only year that this interior was offered, and was it only on the 1.8T?

2 Was it offered in any other colors other than red, green, and blue?

3 Did you have to order the CD changer to get that type of console armrest?

Thanks for your patience with this newbie!

Attachments

·
Blue Hunter
824 Posts
The pictures you are showing are "Color Concept" cars if I am not mistaken.

When I was looking for my New beetle, I saw a blue one in a dealership listing on AutoTrader.com, but didn't know what it was at that time, so I passed it up. :(

They are considered "special" around here. :)

My 2004 GLS came with that style console only with a black fabric lid. I don't have a CD changer in my car. :(

·
jdub-vdub
1,273 Posts
2003.5 came in blue and red, I think called the lifestyle package, they have that center changer and a sunset alloy wheel and the blinkers on the mirror( I think its a sunset wheel? )

2003 also had a cyber green with the color matched wheel, but not the center changer just the armrest (this is my fave of the color concepts)

2002's came in yellow and orange (with color matched wheels)

2004 had a really nice "satellite beetle" with blue seats but not leather, super comfortable with color matched Take 5 wheels, AWESOME COLOR OF BLUE

Hope this helps, I am sure you will get flooded with pictures and more information...

·
5/23/10 <3
11,121 Posts
I think AbuNigel is talking about the 3 shown as all being autos.

Color Concepts are sweet! They're all 1.8T's. There was blue lagoon, yellow, orange, red and cyber green for color options. Blue is my favorite, but I am a bit biased :p I'm also pretty sure there are 2003 and 2004 models but thats it. If you can get a good deal on one, I would jump on it! Also, manual transmissions are much more fun :)

·
jdub-vdub
1,273 Posts
Oh makes sense that AbuNigel was referring to just the three pictures lol oops, I thought AbuNigel was saying in general there are no 5spd 2003 blue ones... :wink: I Just love those blue pleather seats, I would love to have a 2003 blue concept, or green...

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Success to you on your future purchase. There's an orger here who's selling a red nB- GINA. This is a pampered, well maintained show-winning beetle. It might be worth your while to check it out. Click here to take a look. She might be in not too far from you, not sure though- your vital info is blank. Your future beetle could be closer than you think:wink:

All the best to you and please keep us posted on your progress:wave2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)WOW! Thanks for all of the info guys!! AbuNigel, the reason that all of the pics are of automatics is that I put that filter on my search at Autotrader. At 49 I have come to the conclustion that I'd rather have an auto than a stick, especially with all of the intown stop and go traffic I encounter on a daily basis.
That, and the fact that my ex used to own a NB (2.0 5 speed) and at highway speed I was always searching for another gear after I was in fifth....my toronado at 70 turns over about 2200 rpm, and as I recall the NB was closer to 2500 or 2600....not sure how the automatic does.
scarabY2k, although GINA's Beetle is beautiful, I'm not quite ready to buy (still saving a down payment). That, and the fact I'm so enamored by the blue version, plus her car is a stick....and I'd hate to drive something as special as that through the Maine winters (the NB would be a daily driver).

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
:)WOW! Thanks for all of the info guys!! AbuNigel, the reason that all of the pics are of automatics is that I put that filter on my search at Autotrader. At 49 I have come to the conclustion that I'd rather have an auto than a stick, especially with all of the intown stop and go traffic I encounter on a daily basis.
That, and the fact that my ex used to own a NB (2.0 5 speed) and at highway speed I was always searching for another gear after I was in fifth....my toronado at 70 turns over about 2200 rpm, and as I recall the NB was closer to 2500 or 2600....not sure how the automatic does.
scarabY2k, although GINA's Beetle is beautiful, I'm not quite ready to buy (still saving a down payment). That, and the fact I'm so enamored by the blue version, plus her car is a stick....and I'd hate to drive something as special as that through the Maine winters (the NB would be a daily driver).
I'm not familiar with the 4 or 5 speed autos but I do know that I run the 6 speed auto and I never feel like I need another gear. :) Best of luck in your search.

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
I just found a forum thread that has pics and info of all the Color Concept NB's (green, red, blue, orange, and yellow):

need advise on which Beetle to look for.. - NewBeetle.org Forums
:D
I wonder who was nice enough to put all those pictures up :cool:

Now, BESIDES the color concepts, there have been a PILE of other special edition Beetles. I happen to have pictures of those too !

This one has cloth sport seats, it's an automatic too!

(and yes, the side of the Beetle is dark maroon, it matches the seats, it's not just a reflection!)

Here is the Satellite Blue edition with the matching wheels, automatic, and blue cloth seats..

This black one can also be had with a black leather interior. I almost bought one before I found my limited edition Yellow color concept. MMmm. Yellow!

Hope that helps.

You can see MORE editions if you click here... Index of /bug/CC

:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was right! LOL, though I don't think this car has the motorized vanity in the trunk! And I think they meant to say the 10th anniversary of the NB, not the NB convertible.....this from the VDub website:

Volkswagen creates life-size pink New Beetle Convertible for Barbie® 50th Birthday
March 10, 2009
HERNDON, VA—Volkswagen of America, Inc. helped Mattel celebrate Barbie® doll's 50th Birthday by transforming a New Beetle convertible into the ultimate Barbie® dream car. The life-size pink Malibu Barbie™ New Beetle convertible made its debut at Barbie® doll's Malibu Dream House® exclusive birthday celebration. Customization artists ABD Racing Werks, Katzkin Leather and Interiors and FoamMolders fully transformed the iconic New Beetle convertible into the perfect Barbie® ride.

"We are extremely proud to partner with Mattel and create a customized New Beetle convertible to celebrate Barbie's landmark birthday," said Laura Soave, General Manager of Marketing, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "Like the New Beetle, Barbie has made a remarkable impact on pop culture history, and still remains a cultural icon today."

From top to bottom and interior to exterior, Barbie® doll's New Beetle convertible has left no detail unfinished. From the white custom leather interior and convertible top to the hand stitched floor mats and pink quilted leather lined door pockets and arm rests, even the dipstick is painted to resemble her favorite lipstick. The New Beetle convertible is equipped with a motorized vanity in the trunk and plenty of rhinestone accents and vanity mirrors. Over five shades of paint were mixed together to create the perfect pink color for Barbie® doll's car.

The customized pink New Beetle convertible was prominently on display as the pink carpet was rolled out for the Barbie® celebration at her real-life Malibu Dream House®. Barbie® doll's house is a 3,500-square-foot home in Malibu, CA, decorated by famed "Happy Chic" interior designer Jonathan Adler. The Barbie® birthday festivities were complete with 1,800 pairs of Barbie® sunglasses, 3,500 pairs of tiny shoes, 3,500 mini handbags and numerous Hollywood celebrity guests.

Last year, Volkswagen celebrated the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the New Beetle convertible. With its distinct shape, the iconic New Beetle convertible is one of the most recognized models in the world.

·
jdub-vdub
1,273 Posts
No that is just one that the dealership painted pink that dealership used to paint them like lime green and bright sky blue they were pretty cool... the barbie one you are talking about is one of a kind, its pretty sweet... Here are the pics of that particular convertible they designed for barbies party, not to be confused with the actual barbie beetle special edition...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts