NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yep 2000 were made in '01 and 25 were made in 2000. The '01 models all had the total black interior. The 25 in 2000 had grey or beige or possibly black. They were experiments.

There is one known '01 that is a TDI. It went to Canada and now resides in NH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My son has a Vortex Blue 2001 turbo manual.

Have you been able to find the Vortex Blue touch up paint anywhere? My local dealers seem clueless on how to get it.

·
old school
500 Posts
At the top of this "chapter" -Paint&Body- there is a thread
entitled Paint Colors for all years.

Your paint code is LR5A/3J

A good place to order touch paint is Paintscratch.com.

The have it listed as Soft Blue Clearcoat instead of
Vortex Blue but the codes match up so it has to be your
Vortex BLue.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
All of the Vortex Blue beetles were considered a GLS (for 2001 - not sure about the other 25).

A GLS would have had the cold weather package and sunroof. They were either manual or auto. I believe a few of them were 2.0 but the majority were 1.8t. All would have had black leather interior. No special stitching or floor mats like the color concepts have. They just had black stitching and black carpet floor mats. They did not have Monsoon radios because those weren't out yet when the cars were made. They did not have heated washer nozzles but did have heated side mirrors. They had the standard seats and not the sport seats.

Probably the coolest color made. Mine was my favorite beetle of the 3 I've owned. I still miss that car and would probably still have it had it not been destroyed in the accident.

RIP Bluebee.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a yellow 2003 Beetle, son has the 2001 Vortex Blue turbo. He may go into military, I am itching to take HIS car and sell mine........ His has more miles, but is turbo, heated leather seats, and that great VORTEX BLUE color.

Don't tell Woodstock that I sort of like Stitch a little better.

·
Car Crazy Girl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woodstock said:
I have a yellow 2003 Beetle, son has the 2001 Vortex Blue turbo. He may go into military, I am itching to take HIS car and sell mine........ His has more miles, but is turbo, heated leather seats, and that great VORTEX BLUE color.

Don't tell Woodstock that I sort of like Stitch a little better.
I have the same...can you get touch up paint still?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a vortex blue bug that's a tdi and I live in nova scotia Canada so I don't think there is only one tdi in vortex blue lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah i think that 2000 were created in '01 and 25 were created in 2000. The '01 designs all had the complete dark internal. The 25 in 2000 had dull or bravo or probably dark. They were tests. There is one known '01 that is a TDI. It went to North america and now is located in NH.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The one Vortex blue TDI thing is a myth I think. I owned one and I was at the VW dealership in Halifax talking to the service manager and when I mentioned that to him he told me he knew about at least two others so there are a few around.

I saw one in person a few years back while driving mine. Vortex blue with no hatch spoiler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts