VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had to replace both headlights on my 1999 beetle because there blown the rubber gasket is bad,i took the drivers headlamp out no problem,but the passangers side will not come out i have the black lever all the way to the top,but the little push tab is broken off that side.so i pulled it the bottom seemed to be lose but the top is out about 2 inchs but will not come out any futher and while trying to get it out the bottom seemed to seperate apart?any ideas

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
More VW bad design/crap plastic. Try and grab at the back of the housing (from under the hood) and pull the assembly forward to you. You can also shoot some cleaner on the tracks, then shoot again with grease.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my issue is,is that the HEADLIGHT “CATCH” REPLACEMENT CON’T. is gone,

the pic labled c is gone

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The tab needs to be pressed to allow the catch with the lever to rotate upward. Once the lever is all the way up the headlight should be able to come out. If the tab is missing the lever can't be locked in the "down" position, that's all. It is not needed for anything else.

The headlight assembly needs to come out straight of the socket. I would push it back in until it is straight and try pulling on it evenly. I've heard of people using toilet plungers to grip the headlight as they pull it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i put the latch all the way tothje top and pull but there is a lock that wont let go,this is a horrible design i already broke or seperated the light lense from the chrome housing by pulling on it ,like i said the bottom of the light seems very lose but the top will not release i pull on it and about after 2 inchs the top locks and will not come out,and since the little press tab is gone on the CATCH” REPLACEMENT it must have something to do with that.

so what im saying is the black lever goes all the way up but the secret x marks that im sopposed to push is gone but the light stays locked or jamed at the top.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I took my passenger-side headlight out to have a look. Here is a photo of where the assembly is retained in the housing:

Electrical wiring Auto part Cable

The two places marked "A" have pins on the headlight assembly that engage the slots in the catch. There are 3 tracks marked "B" that have corresponding ridges on the headlight assembly. There isn't actually anything that retains the headlight along the top.

Auto part Helmet

As I was removing my headlight, I noticed that the top edge was the most reluctant to move. I was able to wiggle it far enough forward that I could get my finger behind the clear lens and rubber seal and pull it forward from there. You could try prying on the top rear of the headlight assembly from within the engine compartment as well.

If it seems like it is stuck at the location of the upper catch, it could be that the retaining ring is broken so only the lower catch is releasing.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
picture

Maybe it's too late to help out this fella but for those folks who might need to remove the headlamps in the future it's a good Idea to use greaseless lubricant on the guides labeled "B" in that picture so that next time the headlamps slide in and out very easy without breaking any cheap plastic for sure...;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts