VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the stealership yesterday to make an appointment for service. While I was there I noticed a decent looking vw truck. Went to check it out and a salesman aproached me to see if I wanted to take it for a test drive. I decline and said that it just caught my eye because I didn't know VW made a midsized truck.

Then the salesman started telling me about the truck, that it's a TDI, not sure if I heard right but I think he said it had 150HP and it was able to haul 1Ton and tow 2Tons. Oh and the model/name of the truck is AMAROK(could the translation be "LoveRock"?) :p

There was also a smaller truck that I forgot to take pics of.

Oh and I almost forgot, there's suppose to be a Special Edition Jetta coming out soon out here in Mexico. It going to be the Bicentennial(SP?) Edition Jetta. Since Mexicos Bicent. Is coming up I guess VW thought it would be good to comemorate the festivities with a special edition car. I guess I'll wait and see what will be so "Special Edition" about it.

Attachments

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts

·
Dad of Bumble & Rupert
124 Posts
put me down for one, that is the second vehicle now...correction, third vehicle that VW is making and doesn't have in the US. This, the Black Edition Beetle and the new VW Scirocco

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
put me down for one, that is the second vehicle now...correction, third vehicle that VW is making and doesn't have in the US. This, the Black Edition Beetle and the new VW Scirocco

We had the black tie edition :eek:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bah looks like a friggin Ford Sport Trac
Built in Argentina, most likely on a Ford assembly line, need to do some more research but that's my opinion

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There are actually tons of models that VW offers in other countries that have never made it to the US. Polo, Lupo, Sharon.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a special edition of a model. We got lots of special edition NBs that never made it anywhere else but the US.

But as for models, yeah, there are lots that we've never had here, that have made it throughout the world.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are actually tons of models that VW offers in other countries that have never made it to the US. Polo, Lupo, Sharon.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a special edition of a model. We got lots of special edition NBs that never made it anywhere else but the US.

But as for models, yeah, there are lots that we've never had here, that have made it throughout the world.
I don't think one would really have any probs if they want to import from other countries to US, so we are not missing them for sure

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
It's actually quite difficult to import cars that aren't built to US standards / specs. So yeah, we are missing those.
Not only is it difficult, its downright impossible unless you have the right connections. And even then, if you get caught the vehicle will be sent to the crusher.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Any idea what the MPGs where?
Too bad, I'm in the market for a small truck.
I've been reading about this truck for awhile...while drooling over it too. lol It's a TDI, I think it gets about 30mpg or more...I forget now. It's a 1 ton. They have a 2 door version and a 4 door version. Why VW doesn't bring it to the American market I will never know. I think it would fair well over here, since we all love our trucks. But they say, starting price for this puppy will be in the $30-40K which will hurt sales I'm sure. But hey, the EOS is right up there too..and people still bought it!

The other issue with the truck is that it doesn't come with an automatic. It's a 5spd or 6spd only and has a 4 wheel drive option! To be in the American market you HAVE to offer an automatic...and sadly with VW's reputation for autotragics...I don't think they could make one that would withstand the towing and hauling capabilities of this truck :( I mean, you see how well the 01M worked in the TDI's...and sadly the DSG's (tiptronics) are only a little bit better :(

If this thing EVER gets brought to the US....I'm owning one....mark my word!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Very different vehicle. The Ranger has been a Ford staple for years. Its not coming to the US this time around though.

The Amarok is quite the truck. I think what VW has against it is A) its lack of pick-ups in the past and 2) The cost. VW always manages to price itself out of the market with its cars (the new Jetta being the only exception, though thats debatable with its lack of features on the cheap side). I'll be interested to see if they change their mind on bringing it to the US if/when the Mahindra truck comes our way. They are working on getting it here, and it looks like a really promsing truck. Small, diesel, and lots of power and capability. Very similar to what VW is aiming at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts