VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, technically I am not the owner but our 16 year old daughter is..we only own the work it needs haha. We just got her a 2002 GLS, the Luna Green which from reading was a limited edition. Sure is a cute lil thing.

We bought it with 131k on it but overall seems to be in good shape. Mostly freeway miles. A few things need replacing on the poor thing, cupholders missing, loose door lock button, mirror switch is missing a knob. We did have to replace the engine speed sensor and a coolant sensor right after we got it. Also flushed the system and found out coolant from VW isn't cheap..$36 here!

The only issue we need to work out is why there is no ac or heat. After flushing the system and replacing coolant we spotted a hose had popped off, put it back on but it looks like it is missing a clip so we need to replace that. But we turned the a/c on and it was blowing strong and cold. Now..nothing again. same with the heat...just doesn't heat up as it should.

But just in the last three weeks since we bought it, I've fell in love with it. It suits her so well and she gets a kick out of driving it. And her friend across the street who was dead set on a Mustang for her first car..is also a proud owner of a Beetle. She has a 2003 Cyber Green Turbo. Her parents bought her one about a week and a half after we bought our daughter's. They went from playing with Barbie Beetles to driving them :D

Look forward to learning new things about this car and definitely all the information shared on issues and fixes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was telling hubby last week we should just replace the T-stat so we KNOW its new, new sensors might as well have a new thermostat! Previous owners didn't seem to know how to take care of this car. They said there were no issues but we drove it two hours home, the next day get check engine light for the engine temp sensor. A week later a code for the coolant sensor. For $10 it does not hurt to try a new thermostat.

Oh. Another issue. They said the remote wasn't working but we discovered the battery was missing. She didn't exactly elaborate so we thought maybe previous owners told THEM the remote wasn't working. so we put a battery in it. Worked just fine for us. Used the remote entry for about a week. Took it to get a smog test done, the service tech went to move the car and it wouldn't start. The light for the immobilizer came on. Hubby disconnected the car battery, took the battery out of the remote thinking that perhaps that's why they said it didn't work, that it was acting up. Alarm went off. After about 25 minutes reconnected the battery, still no start. Father in law gave it a jump, which it started with it. Took the battery for testing and it was good.

We haven't attempted to put the battery back in the remote because I don't want our daughter getting stranded because it wont start. Anyone ever hear of this issue with the remote/key causing a no start? Plan on having a new key made as soon as we can but in the meantime she has to use the key manually. To me the remote is a safety feature I'd like her to have, easier to quickly get in your car when you're out and alone, not fiddling with a key in the door.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The battery in the remote; is not related to the immobilizer system. There are a number of issues in the immobilizer system; that can cause, the car not to start and this is indicated, by the immobilizer light in the speedo cluster you saw (blinking). Typically, the car will start for a few seconds and then stall/die. This is the immobilizer; cutting off the ignition. Any part of the immobilizer system; could have a fault, cause this to happen.

The best thing to do; would be to scan the car, for codes and post them up here.... we will do our best to help, figure out the problem.

If you don't have a scanner; I would recommend, that you buy one and that way, you are not reliant on a shop or the vw dealer, to read codes, diagnose you problems and have to pay, every time it happens (it is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when"; buy a scanner ASAP).

Here is a inexpensive one; on amazon.com, it reads the specific codes for Volkswagens.

The VAG405 or the newer version VS450; would do the basic code reading for your car.

Amazon.com: VS450 OBDII EOBD Auto Scanner Diagnostic Tool Code Reader For CAN VW/AUDI: Automotive

Amazon.com: vag 405

Amazon.com: vw scan tool

Here is a site; that explains, the Volkswagen immobilizer system, how it works and how to troubleshoot things.

Immobilizer FAQ and troubleshooting for VW and Audi, with key replacement tips | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

The worst case scenario; you can have the immobilizer removed, from your cars computer for about $50.

Post up those codes and we will try to help! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I just love that she and her friend have matching, fun, safe, round cars! :party:

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you BillyMade..good to know the remote has zero to do with the immobilizer. I had come up with 400 reasons it happened but none ever made sense. I've googled myself to death too reading everything I can. It's such a neat little car but boy is it different than most, we should be experts by the time she is an adult and moves on to her next car, which may make me keep it for myself ;)

We have a scanner but probably should invest in one that reads VW codes. It's just odd that it didn't happen before and hasn't happened after, only when someone other than ourselves went to start and drive it. Perhaps we should name it Christine.

Dnyed I agree it think it's funny how they both ended up with one. They have known each other since they were about 4 years old, my daughter would often tote of little Barbie Beetle to her friend's house and play all day. This is actually her second car. Last year we looked but just didn't have the funds for a Beetle so we bought a Neon as a "temporary car". Not the safest and not the best but hers was a decent car. But she was determined to get a Beetle and after all my research knowing that it was a much safer car, which was my top priority and they are economical and bonus is it's cute, it all worked out in the end. She is happy she's the only one out of a school of about 2300 students to drive a Beetle in a sea of trucks and Hondas. She even overheard someone talking about it in class one day "I just want to know who drives that Beetle!" It definitely suits her personality. I think we made a wise choice.

Thank you everyone for the welcome I am sure to be researching and reading all over this site in the days to come. Next adventure is changing the thermostat and see what that does.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Awesome car choice for sure! WELCOME to the ORG!
What state are you in?

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Central California here
Ok,ADD that info to your profile.....we have other ORGERS in California too :)
Also it helps us reference you easier as well.

So glad she LOVES HER NEW BEETLE.
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts