NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time poster here :)

I would like to replace the old shift boot and knob in my 5-speed manual 2002 Beetle. I found this really sleek looking set online when googling "yellow beetle shift knob" (I want it to match the yellow theme of my double yellow color-concept model)

However, it says that this product fits in the "VW Golf & Bora". How different would this be than a boot & knob for the beetle? Is there a way to tweak it to fit in the beetle?

And if it's not possible, has anyone else had success in finding a stylish yellow themed shift knob and boot that is beetle-compatible? (I only really need to switch out the knob but I figure I might as well get a new boot to go along with it).

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
I believe if it's for a Mk IV Golf etc it'll fit, but I'm not 100% positive. There used to be somebody around here who's mom made shift boots for the NB, not sure if they still do or not. Might do a search and see if you can get in touch with them.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I'm sure; any upholstery shop, could make you one if you wanted yellow. As for a typical stock style replacement; these guys sell them at a affordable price.

New Beetle Shift Boots | Volkswagen Replacement parts

(NOTE: they are not listing other VW's as being compatible with them)

This aftermarket shift boot was designed and manufactured by AARodriguez Corp.

This is one of the items that we designed and manufactured because there was no complete assembly alternative to the expensive ($100 - $300) units the VW sells.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just purchased the yellow knob set.

My thinking is that it appears close in size that I can probably manually staple it to my Beetle's plastic boot frame.
I just hope that the base of the boot isn't too small!
At the very least I know that the 12 mm shift knob will be compatible.

I will just have to wait and see once it is shipped to me from Germany. I'll post an update with the results so others don't encounter the same dilemma as me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Results!

Ok, I have finally finished installing the knob, but it was quite a trick to get it done.

Here's a before and after shot before I tell the whole story:

As you can see the grip of the old knob was really deformed and ugly.
It was that way when I bought the car used, and ever since then I wanted a replacement.

Shipping from Germany took a long time and there were some delivery issues, but eventually the knob arrived.

After excitedly taking off my old knob and trying the fit I immediately noticed a big problem.

In my research I thought the knob connector would be of the same diameter, but I was wrong.
LUCKILY the new knob's connector diameter was bigger than the original one, so all I had to do was find a way to pad the gap.
I did this by wrapping the shift bar with electrical tape at 2 points (to stop any wobbling) as such:

This was enough to keep the knob on tight, but it still was free to rotate and free to slide off.
To fix this I made 2 plastic pieces out of a handy 2-part plastic compound called Plast-Aid.

The top piece is a cast of the new knob's interior.
This created a slot for the new knob to lock into to so it will not rotate.
The bottom piece has a little metal loop embedded in it.

I positioned the loop to interlock with a slit in the new knob's base, so a zip-tie can be tightened around the whole thing to keep the knob from getting pulled off.

The other problem was that the plastic frame that came with the knob was also not fit for my beetle.
I removed the original plastic frame from the old shift boot (the leather was just stapled to the frame).
The base of my new boot has an elastic metal spring sewed into it, so I cut the base threads and took out the spring to give me a bit more material to work with.
I then sewed the new boot to the original plastic frame, taking advantage of the holes that were already in the plastic from the old staples.

Now I just had to put it all together!
This is how the metal loop that I mentioned earlier comes into play.
In order to remove the knob in the future you will first have to cut the zip tie.

Then the plastic frame just snapped in and it was good to go!

I think it looks really sleek and I love the way it fits in with my double yellow color concept bug interior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts