NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stilrunin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just bought my NBC. I have 18's that I will be using from my hard top NB. What have others done to lower your NBC. Pros Cons? Your Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On my 98 Beele I used Eibach lowering springs, I loved the stance. I found the ride to be a little firm but hey I am driving on 18's so I know it will never be a soft as 16's with stock springs. That beig said, I do wna the stnace lower but I do not want it to be so harsh that my wife gives me grief. My wife does not mind the gap with the 18's for me it drives me crazy. I have heard that going with coilovers allows you to chnage heights, for me I don't think I would ever do that. I want the stance only for looks, not performance. Lastly I do not want to spend a lot to get the stance. To sum up:

Want to reduce the gap
Don't want it so low that speed bumps are a problem (no kit on the car)
do not want the ride so harsh my wife complains
do not want to spend a fortune
looks only, no need for performance, it's a daily driver in town only.
Car is under warranty and do not want to jepodize warranty (No lowering springs at driver gear why???)

Can I please get some points of view from NBC owners that have lowered your cars.

Would value opinions of Woosh, Shriek, Burific, Deserion and all others that have lowered NBC

·
Stilrunin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
response

Appreciate the response.
Need advice from others who have lowered their NBC please.

All opinions welcomed and appreciated. I love to hear your thoughts and wisdom especially when they are powered by Knowledge!

I truely would appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
stilrunin said:
Appreciate the response.
Need advice from others who have lowered their NBC please.

All opinions welcomed and appreciated. I love to hear your thoughts and wisdom especially when they are powered by Knowledge!

I truely would appreciate your help.

Thanks
I used Bilstein PSS-9 coilovers on my vert, and while you may not plan on changing the height from time to time; it sure is nice to have that option. We have tinkered with our height a few times to get it "just right". We now have a great balance of LOOKS (not too much wheel gap) and PERFORMANCE (I don't scrape on anything, nor do the tires rub). Check it out...

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
The only way to do it right is coilovers IMHO... they are more expensive but well worth the investment! I used lowering springs with stock shocks for a while but I was very disappointed with their performance... too mushy/bouncy. There's just NO comparison with coilover suspension.

I LOVE my KW Variant 1's. They're height adjustable and a perfect spring rate has already been developed for our cars. They're relatively easy to install... no tinkering needed on dampening rates, etc... just find the height you want and you're ready to go!

The only reason I didn't go wtih Variant 3's is because I don't autocross and don't need to adjust my spring rates... V1's are already set up perfectly for the street. The ride is NOT harsh at all. My wife always complained about the rough ride of the lowering springs but no complaints with the V1's.

I wouldn't worry about your warranty regardless of which way you go. My dealer said the only possible problem would be if I tried to make a warranty claim on a suspension related problem. With an aftermarket suspension they would not cover a suspension related claim. He assured me this would NOT void my entire warranty.

Good luck on your choice!

·
Registered
125 Posts
am having springs installed today on our nbc... cant stand the gap between the guard and tyre anymore. getting progressive rate springs to try and maintain the ride comfort but lower it for looks... think it will be about 25mm lower. I have to be careful with scraping issues on the exhaust tips as they sit out under the rear bumper.

·
Stilrunin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowering

:)

Hello,

I love you guys. The support with this group is so great. It has been a while since I was on the board, but I am so glad I came back. For all who spent the time to respond, I truely appreciate it.

Based on me having the Eibachs previously, and hearing from you who have gone from springs to coilover, I think you have convinced me that coilovers are far superior.

My only problem is going to be selling the idea to my wife that I want to spend $1400 plus on suspension. I have no idea how I am going to get that through.

I think my mind is made up on the KW V1's.

Now any suggestions on where to get the best deal. I have the famous HPA Motorsports here in my back yard and they do some amazing work, but they are so pricy. ANy suggestions on how to "soften" the blow would be appreciated.

Again many thanks to all of you have replied.
:) I feel much more knowledgable now

·
Tom
36 Posts
stilrunin said:
I have just bought my NBC. I have 18's that I will be using from my hard top NB. What have others done to lower your NBC. Pros Cons? Your Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On my 98 Beele I used Eibach lowering springs, I loved the stance. I found the ride to be a little firm but hey I am driving on 18's so I know it will never be a soft as 16's with stock springs. That beig said, I do wna the stnace lower but I do not want it to be so harsh that my wife gives me grief. My wife does not mind the gap with the 18's for me it drives me crazy. I have heard that going with coilovers allows you to chnage heights, for me I don't think I would ever do that. I want the stance only for looks, not performance. Lastly I do not want to spend a lot to get the stance. To sum up:

Want to reduce the gap
Don't want it so low that speed bumps are a problem (no kit on the car)
do not want the ride so harsh my wife complains
do not want to spend a fortune
looks only, no need for performance, it's a daily driver in town only.
Car is under warranty and do not want to jepodize warranty (No lowering springs at driver gear why???)

Can I please get some points of view from NBC owners that have lowered your cars.

Would value opinions of Woosh, Shriek, Burific, Deserion and all others that have lowered NBC
I had Eibach springs installed. I have'nt found any negative side effects from these except that my mud flaps would scrape on speed bumps. I removed my rear mud flaps about two months ago. The ride is a little stiffer but I think it's worth it considering the much inproved cornering and looks. I coud'nt stand the ugly gap between the fender and the wheels. I've had almost every car I've purchased lowered. I dont think I've ever regretted it. I hear coil overs work even better although they cost a lot more.

Tom

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
stilrunin said:
:)

Hello,

My only problem is going to be selling the idea to my wife that I want to spend $1400 plus on suspension. I have no idea how I am going to get that through.

I think my mind is made up on the KW V1's.
Well, since you are going to go with the KW's, you won't spend as much. When I did it I had checked out both, and the KW's were a lot less than the Bilsteins. I think the Bilsteins ended up costing me about $300 more.

Good luck,

Frank

·
Stilrunin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Springs

I want to keep my options open as I do not think I will be able to sell the idea on $1200 plus for a new suspension.

If I go the springs route, which one does everyone suggest?
I see in my latest version of VW driver gear they do not have a set for the convertible 2.0L.

Your informed responses would be greatly appreciated.

Stilrunin

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
H&R Sport Springs
Neuspeed Lowering Springs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eibach

Go with Eibach struts and springs. Tirerack has the pro-system kit for $590.00. This includes the struts & springs. Good luck with your choice----

·
Stilrunin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kits

I am thinking about going in between here, not just spring and really can't afford the coilovers. I have been investigating the th Eibach Pro-System KIT. Matched spring and shock.

The best price I have found is at shox.com for $578 US with free shipping. I will keep shopping to see if I can find them a bit better than that.

I want to again thank everyone that has been helping me get to this point. Still shopping though so again I appreciate your help, you guys are GREat!!

Andy.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other unless ur a hard core race type guy who frequently changes the settings on his coilovers; whether coilovers or springs/shocks, if they're of top quality, they'll perform and look about the same, especially if u go up to 18 or 19 inch wheels.

Hey, vw2nv, w00sh! and BHRIFIC; do u have rear sway bars and, if so, do u still have the bent rear torsion beams or did u have them removed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts