NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I am waiting to get my 06 TDI. I am excited to get the PD engine and all...i am just wondering how hard and how expensive (and some ideas on what kit) the mod will be to potentially run on B100...my friend and i would like to just make our own gas and have a nice big tank at her property... I would like to get the chip that will pump out more horsepower as well but if i cant do that and run on BD then i wont.

Anyway how accepting is the PD engine to the Bio kits...is it self installable and about how much will it cost...?

Thanks all!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Hey man...to run B100 no mods are needed...just dump it in the tank. I run B100 in the summer months in my 05 and have no problems with it. I'm also chipped (Go RocketChip!) with PD150 race injectors, and also never had a problem with those mods.

My advice is to stick with a B20-B50 blend from Oct-Apr, and then B100 in the warmer months. Has a much warmer gel point than D2, so blending is needed to keep it flowing. :O)

Congrats on the 06...did you get the DSG?

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i havent ordered it yet but i will be in the next few months. Im thinking platinum gray with Pkg2 and sirius. I would LOVE to get the DSG but the dealer keeps telling me to dream on because they are hard to find. I keep telling them to look harder. Because i am getting a new car, i am really going to be super picky about it and make sure i am 100% happy with what i choose.

I am glad to hear about no mods needed. I thought i read that you have to convert some seals and other rubber tubes or whatever etc. I guess that was just for SVO. And it is starting to get super cold here, so ill have to have two different batches of BD...50 and 100% i guess! !

Thanks for your help, and i cant wait to go to the dealer with my check in hand and wait for my new car...and even better news, my mom wants to buy the beetle im driving now off me when i get my new one...can you say double dubness! WOOP!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Well, order it NOW because the dealer is right (for once). Besides, I hear that WA state might be going all Cali witht he emissions in a few months, so check that out because if they do, you can't get a new one in.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Whitacre said:
...potentially run on B100...my friend and i would like to just make our own gas and have a nice big tank at her property...
If you are thinking of doing this, you really need to do a lot of research. We are about at the start-up phase and have been looking at the process for a bit less than a year.

It's pretty simple overall, but will require great attention to detail - don't scrimp, especially on filtration. TDI injection pumps have notoriously close tolerances, but the OD TDI motors are as tight or worse. It wouldn't take much to start hanging expensive unit injectors! I'd try for 2 micron filtration.

Best of luck, but order it quick while you still can!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Congrats Whitacre on getting your future TDI!

The CA standards will take effect in WA beginning with the 2009 model year. No worries about not being able to get a 2006 model. And probably by 2009, the TDIs will be clean enough for all 50 states anyway.

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

All the information helps. Becuase i am having my grandma co-sign with me, i have to follow some guidelines and meet some goals before she will do so. Which is fine. The main one being i need to be at my job for a year which is in Feb. If i have to wait a few months after Feb to get a TDI then that is fine with me as long as i can get one and hopefully by then anything wrong with them will be kinked out for the most part.

Again thanks guys!

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I agree with being careful on the Biodiesel making process. I saw the process on Dirty Jobs and there's some chemistry involved and you gotta make sure the right mix of everything is done. Additionally you have to find a decent supply of used oil to convert. Anyway...seems like a big hassle to me...and after all the costs and time you prolly won't come out ahead for a while.

Something else to think about is that VW currently only recommends or supports B5 blends. So if you did have a fuel system problem and they could prove you were using higher than B5 blends then you could be in trouble. It shouldn't be a problem unless you get a bad source of BIO.

I have a 2003 VE in mine and haven't had any problems with the BIO, but it's a good source and temps don't get that cold in Texas. The PD is just a little different engine, but I don't think I've heard people having any problems with good sourced BIO so you will prolly be alright.

Anyway...good luck with the purchase. I'm not a big fan of buying new cars...but I'm guessing it's difficult finding a used TDI these days. Sounds like your Grandma is helping you get in good financial habits...that's good. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts