NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of the leather seats in my '02 GLS TDI. I'd prefer a pair of tan front cloth heated seats in good condition, with working airbags. Some higher-performance seats from a turbo would be worth thinking about, also. Plus a rear seat to match.

My current seats are available for a swap, but they may not be worth it. The driver's seat has a butt-frayed patch on the bolster, the rear is stained and the passenger's seat is showing an airbag fault.

I'm located in Denver, 80033, far from most parts cars I see posted, so I'll consider the shipping costs as I weigh any offer. What'cha got?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Cloth seats are tpically found in base models. I doubt there are upgraded seats with cloth, in my memory I don't remember seeing any.. And the quality of the NB cloth seat material is marginal at best. I read of easy staining, inability to get clean, etc etc, around the Org. Most ppl want to go the other way. And good covers, with proper provision for the side bolster airbags are hard to find. If shipping costs are any issue, you might consider simply buying the OEM covers and stripping and recovering your seats. Seat design will be important that they match.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I don't *think* any NBs came with heated cloth seats, but maybe on the '06+ cars? Other MkIV seats do fit, so if you can find a 2-door Golf, you can at least get the front seats in cloth and some did have heated seats.

The problem with the NB cloth seats, as MORAV said, is easy staining. I had grey seats in my car and were stained when I got the car at 54k. Any sort of wetness will stain the heck out of them. They really are a pain. Now, the cloth seats in the other MkIV cars (Jettas and Golfs) are much better. Seen a few with tan and grey cloth that weren't stained at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen heated cloth seats in another 2002 GLS. I like the leather well enough, but my leather seats' heaters are unusable. They do nothing on settings 0-4, but on 5 they're unbearably hoy. I've been told that this is typical of the leather seats.

It's easy to find Jetta seats, but I do need the folding and raised pivot action of the NB.s seat frame. Can the NB seat frame be swapped onto new seat backs and bottoms?

·
Registered
867 Posts
The best seats are the cloth recarros from a 2dr gti, they are hard to find. The gli recarros are a lot more common but they won't flip up for access to the back seat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll be looking

I just can't justify spending $600 to replace the airbag in a seat that's past its prime. My 10-year-old, sunbaked leather seats are cracked and creaky. They're the worst thing about the car, and I welcome this opportunity (and economic justification) to replace them.

I don't suppose there were ever any sports seats in a light color?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts