VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keep on keepin on!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the vent for the one just on the right side of the steering wheel. Or can i replace the fins?

Any help would be great!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
You would have to replace the entire dash panel that contains the vents and that surround the radio. The fins are not available separately and the vent is bonded into place with the dash panel.

It is fairly easy to replace, as long as you have the radio removal tools.

I have an extra dash panel in perfect condition, and a spare set of radio removal tools. $100 shipped and its yours.

·
Registered
595 Posts
There's also this one for (presumably) $45 + shipping (note: I have absolutely no affiliation with the seller; I just ran across the forum thread).

Sorry DZLBUG -- I don't mean to sabotage your sale, but these parts do tend to go a bit cheaper than you want. (I almost bought yours a long time ago, but found one for ~$50 instead too. And I didn't pay for shipping because I coordinated with a TDIClub member to pick it up at a GTG.)

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
The panel I have is in PERFECT and brand new condition. Not a scratch on it. $100 shipped is not out of line at all. Shipping will be at least $20 due to size, radio tools are $10-20 at the dealer.

Go price one at the dealer and then tell me that mine is overpriced.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The panel I have is in PERFECT and brand new condition. Not a scratch on it.
Ah, I forgot about that (I preferred to spend time instead and refinish a scratched one). You're right, yours is easily worth $100. :eek:

But still, my point stands: these parts usually are cheaper -- and in worse condition -- than yours. :p

·
blue highways
739 Posts
If the clips that hold the fins in place are popped out and not broken, you should be able to snap them back into the little regulator bracket with some needlenose pliers wrapped in tape. You might have to pull the console and get at it from the back- can be a PITA, cheaper but frustrating... There is a pipe that is heat welded to the back of the vent- may need to snap that off for access (if it doesn't break off on its own)- can re-weld it with a junky tip on a soldering iron, etc.

·
Keep on keepin on!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$100 doesn't sound bad for a replacement of the panel but sounds horrible as for what caused the problem.

I had one of those stupid cellphone holders that mount to the vents. i know how to take it on and off... BUT my wife did not, so instead of asking me how to take it off she just pulled real hard (that works right).

So while that sounds fair for the whole piece, its tough for me to chew.

I've seen people replace the vents with the TT ones. Is that just the cover or the whole assym?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've seen people replace the vents with the TT ones. Is that just the cover or the whole assym?
The TT vents fit in the existing panel (you'd cut out the current vents). However, it's also a bit of a project. I'm not sure whether it's possible to do it such that the center ones are operable (i.e., able to be closed) or not. PM Marvins_Dad or ScarabY2K.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Well the TT vents could cost you $100/pair depending on where you buy them. If you want the vents to fit flush with the dash, you lose the ability to turn them off or turn down the airflow. If you want to keep function of the vents, you have to have them stick out from the dash...which is a lot of work...and frankly I think it looks fugly.

As for fixing the vent that you have, it might work. I replaced my side vents with TT vents and I broke one of the fins, just like your wife did, when I was pulling it out of the dash. I tried to fit it so that I could sell them here...but I just couldn't get it back together right after hours of fiddling and cussing.

My offer stands. $100 shipped w/radio removal tools. Its a friggen' steal considering the condition. Let me know fast if you want it though, I have others expressing interest. You can PM me for payment details if you'd like.

·
Arizona's "1TOPBUG"
158 Posts
If you don't buy the brand new one, I also have one used removed from a wrecked VW, I can send some pics, if interested PM me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts