Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Got this from a local on the Vortex)

FYI.

Subject: Warning to Pennsylvania residents about speeding!

For those of us who like to drive fast.....

Pennsylvania State Police will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy throughout the state starting February 1, 2006. The State estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 3 million will go to pay Trooper overtime costs and benefits. There will be 150 State Troopers on duty during all shifts patrolling the highways. Significant radar enforcement will occur along the I-70, I-76, I-79, I-80, I-81, I-83, I-84, and I-90 corridors.

Motorists traveling 6 mph or more above the limit will receive a ticket and every State Trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.

Pennsylvania has activated 50 new unmarked cruisers of various makes and models for this pilot program to raise extra funds and meet mandated quotas. The Pennsylvania State Legislators dreamed up this program to help offset the additional funding required to hire 60 new Troopers. I was told KDKA TV and Radio stations confirmed this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

Branden Woodard
Supervisor of Driver Services
PGT Trucking, Inc.
1-800-837-8415

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
The only roads i've ever sped on out of state was 95 North through NYC and the Mass Pike. Anywhere else, hells no. I remember being pulled over in New Hampshire for 5mph over the limit.

I will not being going to PA any time soon. Well, maybe New Hope.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
They already got me on I-84 in the summer. They're almost always pretty strict about speeding in the area I got my ticket in...especially 4th of July weekend! :rolleyes:

My bad! :p
I'm going there next weekend. I'll try to remember that. Thanks Pete. :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
I guess that this confirms that speeding tickets are handed out to generate revenue and not to improve safety on the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
macdave said:
I guess that this confirms that speeding tickets are handed out to generate revenue and not to improve safety on the road.
It certainly helps the municipal's bottom line.

The police can also use it as a negotiating tactic against city council. The local PD where I once lived got into a bitter disagreement with the city council over pay raises. The police stopped issuing speeding or parking tickets to financially squeeze the city council.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I tell ya! Those guys up there don't mess around!
When I cross the PA state line there is a sign that gives you the outcome for speeding in PA.

It reads something like:
10 mph over = $300 fine and 3 points
15 mph over = We WILL shoot you!
20 mph over = We will hand you the gun and let YOU shoot yourself!
25-30 mph over = We will go back in time and erase your very existance!

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
ccain529 said:
I tell ya! Those guys up there don't mess around!
When I cross the PA state line there is a sign that gives you the outcome for speeding in PA.

It reads something like:
10 mph over = $300 fine and 3 points
15 mph over = We WILL shoot you!
20 mph over = We will hand you the gun and let YOU shoot yourself!
25-30 mph over = We will go back in time and erase your very existance!
Now that is funny!!!

Thanks for the heads-up Pete. My foot can get heavy at times, so I will be taking it easy for the next 30-day's...:bigthumb:

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
snopes says it's an urban legend, http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

but i guess it never hurts to lose a little weight in our right foot/feet. :lol:

seems even our local VA gendarmes have awakened from a long winter nap...lots of 'em out and about the last week looking for speeders/red light runners. :D

At the end of January 2006, the warning was issued about Pennsylvania:
Warning to Pennsylvania residents about speeding!

For those of us who like to drive fast.....

Pennsylvania State Police will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy throughout the state starting February 1, 2006. The State estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 3 million will go to pay Trooper overtime costs and benefits. There will be 150 State Troopers on duty during all shifts patrolling the highways. Significant radar enforcement will occur along the I-70, I-76, I-79, I-80, I-81, I-83, I-84, and I-90 corridors.

Motorists traveling 6 mph or more above the limit will receive a ticket and every State Trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.

Pennsylvania has activated 50 new unmarked cruisers of various makes and models for this pilot program to raise extra funds and meet mandated quotas. The Pennsylvania State Legislators dreamed up this program to help offset the additional funding required to hire 60 new Troopers. I was told KDKA TV and Radio stations confirmed this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

You've been warned.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I think they're doing the same thing in Illinois. I haven't seen as many cops all winter as I have this past week. I can't drive this slow, it's making me crazy !:eyecrazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.