NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The moderators are probably going to get mad at me but I'm going to post this in two places...

I was in an accident last week where a guy clipped my driver-side rear corner. Insurance is taking care of everything else but they've run into a serious problem... The rim was damaged beyond repair and it's a discontinued model. So now in order to get the frame / rear axle beam aligned, I need to have a set of four matching rims and tires. They're just going to pay me out for the cost of the rim and expect me to find a set for a couple hundred bucks... Until then though, I would like to get my car back.

Does anyone in Southern California (Inland Empire/Riverside preferrably) have a set of the stock rims I can borrow? I know it's a harsh request, but my insurance company is just dragging me around at this point.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently not... It's the rims that were on it when I bought the car about 3-4 years ago, but they're not stock. Katana 5KR's

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
You need to switch insurance companies. It's not YOUR fault the rim is discontinued! :mad:

Check your local Craigslist. You might find a whole set for cheap. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You need to switch insurance companies. It's not YOUR fault the rim is discontinued! :mad:

Check your local Craigslist. You might find a whole set for cheap. Good luck.
And not the insurance companies problem that the insured bought the car with or chose to have aftermarket wheels. Liabilities are very limited when it comes to aftermarkets, mods, and add-ons. If this were a factory wheel there would be no question and no problem. The repair shop would just get it from one of their vendors.:rolleyes: Might be different if it was the other driver's insurance paying up!

M.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
And not the insurance companies problem that the insured bought the car with or chose to have aftermarket wheels. Liabilities are very limited when it comes to aftermarkets, mods, and add-ons. If this were a factory wheel there would be no question and no problem. The repair shop would just get it from one of their vendors.:rolleyes: Might be different if it was the other driver's insurance paying up!

M.
maybe a picture of the rims would help to know IF they are aftermarket or not since it WASNT stated :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
They can't find a matching rim at a salvage yard?
Who? The Insurance Company? What, take a picture and go yard to yard? Or the Body Shop? Who's going to pay them to do the looking? The insurance company? Don't think so. Not either of their jobs or responsibilities. If it were the wheel that came on the car, the body shop merely call their Vendor and order the part number on the wheel, or by part name and VIN. That's how it's done.

Word of the wise to all modders, insurance companies value the vehicle and charge for insurance based on the VIN, add-ons, mods, and aftermarket parts, your pretty much on your own. Ditto custom paint jobs. Unless of course you carry and pay for a rider for these type of things. That's why collectables and the like are insured on specialized type of policies written for specific vehicles and valued by appraisal prior to policy issuance.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Heh, wow. Everyone is missing the BIG picture here.

The insurance company is PAYING HIM THE MONEY FOR THE RIMS!

And I quote... "They're just going to pay me out for the cost of the rim and expect me to find a set for a couple hundred bucks". They did this because the wheels , as he said, were discontinued. And since the wheels are discontinued it's not their, or the body shops' job to find a replacement. That's why they are handing him CASH to go find one (or a set).

Which, ARE available, online at various sites.
Yep, but what they are REALLY giving him is about the cost of a replacement factory wheel, fulfilling their obligation to him! And IT IS his problem, why be knocking the insurance company or the body shop. And I didn't really hear HIM complaining, just that the first responder went off on the Ins Co, and that was unfair! All about entitlement, I guess :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
*nod*

In the long run, though, if he has a couple hundred bucks, he should be fine. I found a FULL SET of like-new condition painted ones, 18" , in a 5x100 bolt pattern and linked them. Only $400 for all 4. That's not bad at all.

I would have looked more but I didn't know what size he needed. 17? 18? 19? Etc.
Since you've done so much work FOR him, he shouldn't mind me hijackin' his thread and asking how you're doin'. How's the back? How's the new car search goin"? Any real bites on Sting? I saw an TV ad the pool I was talking about, and wrote down the website, but now can't find it. I'm real bad about writing notes on what ever is in front of me on my desk and then not being able to find my "note" the next day. I'll nail it the next time I see it, and p/m you.

M.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow... Didn't really expect that long of a read when I got back to my computer after the holiday weekend...

I still don't have my car back from the repair shop. The rim is keeping me from driving away from this whole thing. Because I don't have 4 matching rims/tires, they can't do the alignment on the rear-end. And apparantly, they're not allowed to use a loaner set of rims/tires just to get it to progress to the next stage of repair.

As for the rim itself, it was shipped out last week to a place for a second opinion on repair. No clue as to that update.

And no, I don't fault the insurance company for this problem. I wish my agent would have told me they weren't covered when he was taking pictures of the car when I bought it. He even pointed out that they were nice rims.

Because the other driver 'fessed up to being at fault, his insurance company is who will be ultimately paying for all the repairs and rental costs.

My only real issue at the moment is that my rental is costing me a fortune in gas! I miss my four-banger!!!

BTW: they were 17's ... Not that it really matters but I noticed someone had said that I didn't specify :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Wow... Didn't really expect that long of a read when I got back to my computer after the holiday weekend...

I still don't have my car back from the repair shop. The rim is keeping me from driving away from this whole thing. Because I don't have 4 matching rims/tires, they can't do the alignment on the rear-end. And apparantly, they're not allowed to use a loaner set of rims/tires just to get it to progress to the next stage of repair.

As for the rim itself, it was shipped out last week to a place for a second opinion on repair. No clue as to that update.

And no, I don't fault the insurance company for this problem. I wish my agent would have told me they weren't covered when he was taking pictures of the car when I bought it. He even pointed out that they were nice rims.

Because the other driver 'fessed up to being at fault, his insurance company is who will be ultimately paying for all the repairs and rental costs.

My only real issue at the moment is that my rental is costing me a fortune in gas! I miss my four-banger!!!

BTW: they were 17's ... Not that it really matters but I noticed someone had said that I didn't specify :)
If it's the other driver's insurance who is paying, and there is no question about this, why aren't they paying for your rental? Doesn't matter that you don't have a rental car rider on your policy. Who the f is your agent, I'd be all over mine.

That aside, if the rental is costing you an arm and a leg, why haven't you just bought a used one, and had it shipped to the shop doing the work. Ppl have given you several sources. $ wise, seems like you would be ahead. Spend what you need to spend and keep it documented, you'll have to sign a release at some point, but you're Ins Co should be on your side and fighting the battle, they will want they're money back too. But it sounds as if there might be a "who's at fault issue" here.

M.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont get it, It is the frame thats mucked up tell them to staiten the frame without wheels. You can get a wheel aliment later. Are they try to staiten this thing with a ruler come along , and a chain tied to a tree? I saw my 944S2 on a frame jig of some sorts, just about all of the front end removed with no wheels on it, connected to a bunch of hydrolic jacks and pullers controled by computer with laser sightings of some sort.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rental itself is being paid for... I just have to provide my own gas. The 2011 Impala they put me in has an Auto 3.5 V6 which sucks up quite a bit more gas than my 5-speed 2.0 AVH

And I think the only reason they need the wheels on it for the alignment is because there's a new rear axle beam and hub/bearings. I may be wrong about that but who knows... My only concern is they make it as safe as possible since my kids ride around in the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts