VW Beetle Forum banner

Was PWM for reverse light used on 2003 NBC

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hadda61beetle 
#1 ·
I am preparing for installation of a backup camera on my wife's 2003 NBC. I have read several accounts where members who made this installation on some later model New Beetles had to install some kind of a relay because the backup or reverse light operates on a PWM (pulse width modulation) circuit, which does not deliver a full constant 12 volts, which is required by the backup cameras.

I am attempting to find out if VW used a PWM circuit on the backup lights on the 2003 Beetle. Anyone know??

Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks Fuzzy, I do not want to put you to a lot of trouble...I can hook the system up and see if it works, or, is there any way I can check it....what type of scope are you talking about using? I do not have an oscilloscope or anything like that....not that I could know how to use one...my knowledge of electronics is from a high school class...where we played around blowing up capacitors more than learning anything useful.... Slowdog

#4 ·
Well I guess I answered my own question because I installed the camera hooking it directly to the reverse light wire without any problems, it works beautifully!! Trying to work with wiring inside that tiny NBC trunk gave the neighbors something to laugh about...as I am a very big guy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.