NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011-11-26_15-43-43_794.jpg i have a 2001 1.9tdi that has a waterleak. l took the upper and lower plastic cowling off to look. way back in the upper front of enfine (under wind sheild and near the dash) there is an type of manifold that appears to be part of the cooling syatem, behind it there is a small aparatus that is mostly hidden with several small bolt/screw attachments and small hoses coming to and from it., this is where the water drops form, not near a hose, but out of this attacment/aparatus, i am trying to send a photo with this post/

thanks

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Looks like it's probably the EGR cooler. You have the ALH 1.9 and there are two coolant hoses that connect to this exhaust cooler.
It could be just the hoses that are leaking. That would be the easiest and less costly fix.
If the cooler itself is cracked and leaking then your looking at replacing it.
The part number is 038131513 and will be around $500.00 to replace
Check the hoses first and then trouble shoot the cooler itself.
Here's a diagram of the part.
Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, but i saw water coming from some apparatus behind these pipes. see the photo again. that object with rhe gree screw coming out of it

·
Registered
93 Posts
Locating a coolant leak

thanks for the info, but i saw water coming from some apparatus behind these pipes. see the photo again. that object with rhe gree screw coming out of it
The aluminum thingy is the Intake Manifold which does not have any coolant circulating thru it. The little black thingy being held onto the Intake Manifold by the little green bolt is the electrical/vacuum control unit (N18 I think)for the ASV (Anti-Shudder Valve). Coolant does not circulate thru any of those items!

I believe the poster with the photos of the EGR cooler has answered your question. Likely, there is a very small hole that sprays a very small amount of coolant up in the area your are describing which then drips off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts