NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently trying to track down the source of a water leak in the trunk of my 2012 Beetle. This is a no sunroof car. The water is pooling below the spare tire and saturating the truck liner above the tire. The water is clean which leads me to believe that it is coming from above and not below the car. When I open the rear hatch there is moisture in the corners and the padding behind the plastic around the latch is wet. Any ideas? Has anyone had this issue? I can find nothing on the internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the feedback. I found the issue, the drain tube on the hatch release had come unconnected and rain water was just running into the trunk instead of out the tube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm guessing the above answer is in jest at the fact that there are no replies ??

I found this post via google because I have the same issue on my 2012 beetle. LOTS of water pooling in the spare tire tub and water pouring out the trim of the rear hatch when I open it. Like a LOT of water ... really flooding my rear seats and the general area in the back of the car.

I removed the trim on the rear hatch ( the one closest to the latch) and in doing so found 2 small drain plugs the same color as the paint. Red in my case. They are located on the left and right underside of the hatch ..... on the same plane as the rubber grommet that has the drain tube from the latch handle cover drain tube. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, those plugs removed easily and a LOT of water drained out of the hatch frame. Closer inspection makes me think my leak is in the third brake light seal. It's pretty flexible and raised up from the body sheet metal. I'm ordering a replacement soon and will report any further findings and results of trying to fix the leak.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Wow

I am surprised the "Trunk water level indicator" light on the dash didn't illuminate.

Beetles have warning lights for everything else. They even have lights to tell you when other lights aren't working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, how do I get to that hose? I can't find a video that shows how to take it apart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts