NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Well since Sarah has her license now, she has been driving to school and tennis. She accidentally spilled her water bottle in hatch area, which went into the spare tire cavity. I notice it leaking from underneath. Well I toweled it up and found what I thought was a broken plug that was letting the water out so I replugged it. Turns out this is a small drain for just such an occasion. I realized this today, when after a tarenchal down poor last night, she had about 2 inches of water in the spare tire compartment. :mad:
Has anyone out there experience a water leak back by the hatch/rear bumper area? I appreciate any tips.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't have my NB here to look at, it's stored at the shop, but it has to be related to the hatch gasket and drain trough, only place it could be getting in. That kind of water infiltration would almost indicate that water was being channeled directly into the hatch area, as if a drain were plugged up. Have a good look around the hatch perimeter. Also look for evidence of moisture in the carpet cover and past water staining, mold, mildew, as these must also be an issue unless this just occured for the first time.

Or was there a sunroof available on a '98 GL?

MORAV

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water leak

Thanks for the suggestions esp the third brake light. Ours has a spoiler over it, but that may be funnelling the water into it. I never would have thought of the brake light. Will check seal around hatch too. Going to have to wait til weekend though.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's the solution!

You have a spoiler. No doubt Dealer installed factory option or aftermarket. The mounts for that could also be the source of the water. And there is a possiblity the rear glass has developed a leak, where if is bonded to the hatch, so you'll need to check that also.

Easy way to track water leaks, in reverse, with air. Run the car with the AC on high, and not on recirculate, and with good soapy water and a paint brush, paint the soapy water around any thing that could leak. Just keep going over everything to create a film and not running water. Anywhere a seal is compromised, it will blow bubbles. Start at the top of things so the soapy water runs down the seals. When your done, you will have accomplished two things, You'll have the source of the leak and she'll have a clean Bug, because you're going to have to give it a bath to get rid of all the soap residue. Also, don't do this in direct sunlight.

IF that doesn't work, but I think it will, (as I mentioned to another Orger in a thread with another kind of leak problem) 3M non-residue duct tape (HD for about $7) is an excellent product for sealing of and doing water tests. Dry everything out, and isolate things, testing one thing at a time, starting with the most suspect. Best to have someone on the inside with a trouble light and a view.

Keep us posted as to what you learn!

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts