NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small coolant leak from my water pump so today I went ahead and did the pump, timing belt, tensioner and acc belt.
I am not sure if this is the factory pump because I bought the car used. There is now a metal pump in its place.
I got lucky because other than the leak the car ran great.

Go figure!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Since you just did all this just recently, check a few additional things.

If you have a scan tool that can read and display real time date, check, the engine coolant temp. Within the first 10 minutes the temp should come up to 205F.

With the car running, check the serpentine belt tensioner and let me know how much it is moving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tensioner is tight. My scan tool does not read real time but no codes. Motor mount was bad so did that as well.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My question about the accessory drive belt tensioner is how much does it move when the engine is idling?

Also you might be able to force a trouble code and cause a Freeze Frame to capture the temperature.

Start the car cold and drive it about 8 minutes, pull over and unplug the MAF sensor. This should trigger a MAF code, but should also trigger a Freeze Frame that should include the engine temp so you can get an idea of where it is running.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
pump

Seems like you dodged the Bullet there man, good for ya. Count your lucky stars and go buy ye some lotto tickets or something..LOL :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts