NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up everybody, i had my water pump changed out with a graf pump and (ultimate kit) and 7 months later it's leaking like whoa! i cant believe it so my question is Hepu a better pump or should i get the warrantied graf pump again, would do oem but i dont want to change again for another 80k if possible,

·
Registered
534 Posts
Water Pump

I bought two water pumps in my haste to solve my "cooling system malfunction" check engine light code.

Now I have two and a timing belt to boot that I never installed since I decided to try a thermostat and it solved my problem! The check engine light never came back on! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought two water pumps in my haste to solve my "cooling system malfunction" check engine light code.

Now I have two and a timing belt to boot that I never installed since I decided to try a thermostat and it solved my problem! The check engine light never came back on! :)
IIRC you wrote it was about time to do TB and WP because of high mileage anyway. You are playing with fire. IMHO it would be good idea to change them since you've drained your coolant anyway.

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
I'll have to double check what brand I ended up getting, but I know that I wound up installing the one with a metal rotor so as to avoid the shattering plastic from the OE

·
Registered
209 Posts
For what it’s worth I have never had an aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller last; everyone I have tried started leaking with a year.

I have tried many brands including Graf, Hepu and NAPA years ago all with the same results. The plastic ones have a bad reputation for cracking / breaking, I think this was true in the early years but materials and the design has changed.I have three VW’s and now only use genuine VW brand water pumps.

I know that almost no one on the forum will agree with me on this subject but do you self a favor and go to the dealer and get a VW pump, the extra money you spend now will be worth the extra cost in the long run.

Please dont start bashing me, as stated just my experence over the years.

Krash

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
For what it’s worth I have never had an aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller last; everyone I have tried started leaking with a year.

I have tried many brands including Graf, Hepu and NAPA years ago all with the same results. The plastic ones have a bad reputation for cracking / breaking, I think this was true in the early years but materials and the design has changed.I have three VW’s and now only use genuine VW brand water pumps.

I know that almost no one on the forum will agree with me on this subject but do you self a favor and go to the dealer and get a VW pump, the extra money you spend now will be worth the extra cost in the long run.

I just started WW III...

Krash
I second this motion, My mechanic who happens to specialize is vw/audi says stick with the oem pump. yes they where junk in the beggining but they are better now. Actually get it from the dealer also, the autoparts store ones totally suck (I have done 4 wp's with the dealer having done the current one). the metal ones are not as good as you think, they leak faster and if the prop somehow comes off the shaft......well, you can guess where you are.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first one i pulled out was oem and the impeller was in pieces, installed graf and started to leak in approx. 7 months going to try out Hepu and take the warranty one and stock it in my closet, just cant believe how a pump could go bad so soon jeez it just mind boggling :dunno:

·
Registered
11,583 Posts
Check this video and link out; there maybe issues that were overlooked during installation or it maybe defective too... always good to look at all possibilities and take the time to eliminate all possible failure points. Check it out; blauparts has learned allot from selling parts and doing installs in their shops...

Vw Water Pump Leak Leaking - Vw Water Pump Problems Explained

blauparts service bulletin on wp swap:
http://www.blauparts.com/vw_water_pump_replacement/vw_water_pump_service_bulletin.pdf

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for link billymade, going to do this job again in the next couple of weeks again when graf was installed everything was cleaned and prepped well just cant believe still that it leaked so soon, i always had American cars and trucks never had this many issues as i have had with this bug, but i still love this VW

·
Registered
534 Posts
My Problem?

I had a code for a CTS and the CV boots were cracked so I had the CV axles replaced and put the new CTS in but it still stalled out of no where and I'm thinking that maybe it is time to change the timing belt and water pump.

It has been a long time...:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts