NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump gave out and my dealer recommeded I get the belts, Thermostat, etc done as well since they have to take the nose off anyway.
The pump and 4 hours of labor are covered under extended warranty (mine is a 2003), and the dealer is charging me an additional 4 hours labor for the belts and such. Is that realistic? Seems like a lot of hours for belts...
The total bill is $1,400, of which the warranty is covering $550.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
My water pump gave out and my dealer recommeded I get the belts, Thermostat, etc done as well since they have to take the nose off anyway.
The pump and 4 hours of labor are covered under extended warranty (mine is a 2003), and the dealer is charging me an additional 4 hours labor for the belts and such. Is that realistic? Seems like a lot of hours for belts...
The total bill is $1,400, of which the warranty is covering $550.
For a dealership 8 hours is too much, I did mine with no knowledge of the procedure in about 8 and I could do it again in probably 3. That being said, 950 for the whole job isnt a bad price to pay since it is a very in depth repair if you've never done it before.

Last thing is I dont know of anyone who has had to take the front end of the car off since everything is on the side of the engine.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,916 Posts
That's the highest price I think I've ever seen for the dealer quoting on a job. I usually see $800-$1000. $1400 is pretty crazy. Not sure on labor time. I know that I took my car to my mechanic (independant VW shop, not the dealer) in the morning (shop opened at 10am) and I think I got the call it was done at like 1 or 2pm. I also don't think that they took the front of the car off either.

Is this through a VW dealer?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The front clip stays on the car. I can see where a dealer would charge 8hrs labor, but it only takes 3. 4hrs tops.
My independent shop did the job in 3 and a half hrs and charged me $560.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Its a 3.5-4hr job for the belts, pump and tensioner.

If the warranty covers the pump then all is good, the TB should be replaced as routine (they may not cover the part however), but there is NO extra time in replacing it. Tensioner may also be extra cost for the part and say 5mins to fit (honestly).

Thermostat doesn't necessarily need doing at the same time but while the coolant is drained it is a 30min job tops.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Dealer labor is figured from a book, item by item. Overlapping book hours are not typically credited. Just the way it is, and has been for as long as I can remember. This is how a good mechanic makes good money. He does a job in four, and gets paid for the book of eight, or if not so good, gets paid for eight, even if it takes him ten. The body shop operates the same way.You get the picture.

If it is a Dealership with whom you have a long standing relationship they may offer a discount, or you may find a discount coupon online for your Dealer that is either offered openly or with the use of booking your appointment on line. Ask!

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts