NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All and thanks for the great forum. I have been reading and re-reading all the advice on possible overheating problems and related issues because I am experiencing a overheating problem of my own.

I have a 1999 2L beetle with 76,000 miles and I have resigned myself to replace the whole timing belt, thermo, water pump, tensioner thang but here is my question before I tear it all apart...

Is it possible that the water pump and/or the thermostat died and my coolant sensor did, too, at the same time?

No cooling fans. Fans come on when AC is switched on. Heat from the heater. Hot top radiator hose. Cold bottom hose. No warning lights.

Also, when I go to change out the mount bolts (anticipating water pump/timing belt work) can I lift the engine from above with, say, a forklift -- as I have one at work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Bottom radiator hose is where the thermostat is... so if its cold and you're getting an overheating situation, it's a thermostat stuck closed or bad water pump (impeller sheared off so no water pumping). This would mean no hot coolant flowing past the radiator fan temp sensor.. so fan not coming on. A/C always causes radiator fan to run - its not dependent on temp. Coolant at the sensor (at top radiator hose) can get hot enough from the proximity to the engine, so with a cold bottom hose, I'd say sensor is probably fine. I think its thermostat and/or water pump. Since you're due for timing belt anyway, just do it all at once.

I'm sure you can lift the engine with a forklift, but why do through the hassle? Just put the car up on jackstands and use your floor jack to lift the engine from below (use a piece of wood between the jack and the aluminum oil pan).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Porkchop. I think you are most certainly right; I think I just needed to hear it from someone with a bit more experience in these areas, than myself!

And, yes, I think jack stands and additional jack under engine might be a bit easier than forklift, now that you point it out...

Thanks again! You Rock!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts