VW Beetle Forum banner

Water pump time !

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 convertible bug and it's time to change the water pump and timing belt as mine has started leaking Im going to do both and someone also suggested changing the temp sending unit while I'm in there. I changed the thermostat and replaced the plastic housing with a metal one last year because while changing the alternator I cracked the housing my question is can anyone suggest a good quality water pump to get and is there anything else I should replace while I have the front of the motor apart. Thanks for any information you can give me. Tom

#2 ·
Water pumps, have been a bit of a controversial issue; some prefer oem/vw plastic impeller types, claiming they last the longest and others, the metal versions. I have a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S with the 1.8T; it uses the same water pump, as the 2.0L. I have used various metal impeller water pumps; from the typical brands, Hepu (German), Graf (Italian), Geba (Germany), etc. They all seem to last around the same 5 to 7 years; before the bearing fails and the pumps, start leaking. Recently, Meyle, has come out with a "HD" or heavy duty pump, they claim will last 100k and has a 4 year warranty, most pumps, warranty is a year or less. I bought one of these and installed it; been about a week or so, no issues so far but I cannot say, that is a long enough time, as a true "review" of the pump.

So, that might be a pump to consider or a genuine vw pump. You can read more about my personal experiences with various brands water pumps; see, what you think.

As to a vendor, for a timing belt kit; I would stick with a Continental or INA kit, all oem parts and these would be similar if not the exact same parts, that would come from your vw dealer at a much lower price. FCPEURO, is my latest vendor I am buying from; as they offer oem quality parts, free shipping over $50 purchase, lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell and they have amazing, customer service, if anything goes wrong. Nobody, is perfect but when issues, have come up, they have gone above and beyond, to make it right.

As to other parts, to replace, while "in there"; definitely, the thermostat, as you are already converting over to cast aluminum cooling system parts.... this could be a good time, to replace the plastic thermostat housing/cover with a aluminum version (many sell these; ecstuning, whanabe, etc.). The better timing belt/waterpump kits; from the likes of FCPEURO, have other parts, that typically need replacing, its always good to do it all at the same time (full cooling system flush, thermostat, serpentine belt, pulley/tensioner, etc.). FCPEURO, has kits or you can choose each part individually and make up your own kit, based upon what you need or say, brand of waterpump, you prefer, etc.

#6 ·
Water pumps, have been a bit of a controversial issue; some prefer oem/vw plastic impeller types, claiming they last the longest and others, the metal versions. I have a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S with the 1.8T; it uses the same water pump, as the 2.0L. I have used various metal impeller water pumps; from the typical brands, Hepu (German), Graf (Italian), Geba (Germany), etc. They all seem to last around the same 5 to 7 years; before the bearing fails and the pumps, start leaking. Recently, Meyle, has come out with a "HD" or heavy duty pump, they claim will last 100k and has a 4 year warranty, most pumps, warranty is a year or less. I bought one of these and installed it; been about a week or so, no issues so far but I cannot say, that is a long enough time, as a true "review" of the pump.

So, that might be a pump to consider or a genuine vw pump. You can read more about my personal experiences with various brands water pumps; see, what you think.

As to a vendor, for a timing belt kit; I would stick with a Continental or INA kit, all oem parts and these would be similar if not the exact same parts, that would come from your vw dealer at a much lower price. FCPEURO, is my latest vendor I am buying from; as they offer oem quality parts, free shipping over $50 purchase, lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell and they have amazing, customer service, if anything goes wrong. Nobody, is perfect but when issues, have come up, they have gone above and beyond, to make it right.

As to other parts, to replace, while "in there"; definitely, the thermostat, as you are already converting over to cast aluminum cooling system parts.... this could be a good time, to replace the plastic thermostat housing/cover with a aluminum version (many sell these; ecstuning, whanabe, etc.). The better timing belt/waterpump kits; from the likes of FCPEURO, have other parts, that typically need replacing, its always good to do it all at the same time (full cooling system flush, thermostat, serpentine belt, pulley/tensioner, etc.). FCPEURO, has kits or you can choose each part individually and make up your own kit, based upon what you need or say, brand of waterpump, you prefer, etc.

Ok so I did order through

Ok so I ended up going through Fcpeuro and the meyle hd water pump and continental timing belt had just recently replaced thermostat serpentine belt and belt tensioner so left those alone. I did the work over the weekend and took my time because I didn't want to chance blowing the motor. Right as I was finishing up I was doing the top bolts on the motor mount and the 12mm bolt fell I searched high and low and couldn't find it and seeing that the top part of the timing belt cover wasn't on yet I made the decision not to take a chance and took the whole thing apart again. The bolt ended up not being in there but I will say that it only took a couple hours to tear it down the second time now that I knew what to expect.
I put it all back together turned the key and it purred like a kitten. A couple of days later it started leaking dripping down behind the harmonic balancer . I don't see how I could mess up putting in the pump its 3 bolts and an o ring after getting the timing belt and tensioner which was much harder. Have there been any problems with faulty pimps that you know of or can youthink of something
I might check because I'm about to take it apart for a 3rd time.:rolleyes:

Make sure you have a kit that includes, or you buy, the motor mount bolts. They are one time use stretch bolts and should be replaced. Also get the proper OEM coolant.
Thanks for the help and for suggesting FCP for ordering parts I used them and couldnt be happier with the prices and service. I went with the continental timing belt with the better tensioner of the two offered cam and crank seal and I went with the same pump that you just used guess we'll see if that sealed bearing is all its cracked up to be. I didn't order the serpentine belt ,tensioner thermostat or thermostat housing because I replaced all of those end of last year when I had my alternator rebuilt/ also replaced the oil dipstick tube because I'm like a bull in a china cabinet ...lol But thanks again and I'll let you know how it all turns out,

#3 ·
Thanks for the help and for suggesting FCP for ordering parts I used them and couldnt be happier with the prices and service. I went with the continental timing belt with the better tensioner of the two offered cam and crank seal and I went with the same pump that you just used guess we'll see if that sealed bearing is all its cracked up to be. I didn't order the serpentine belt ,tensioner thermostat or thermostat housing because I replaced all of those end of last year when I had my alternator rebuilt/ also replaced the oil dipstick tube because I'm like a bull in a china cabinet ...lol But thanks again and I'll let you know how it all turns out,

#4 ·
Make sure you have a kit that includes, or you buy, the motor mount bolts. They are one time use stretch bolts and should be replaced. Also get the proper OEM coolant.

Reactions: TripleBlackBug
#5 ·
I would consider replacing the plastic flange that the temperature sensor mounts in as those have been a source of leaks. At a minimum replace to o-rings for the sensor and plug that go in the flange. The sensor itself is probably OK if it is one of the updated green ones instead of the original black ones.

Cool trick for filling the cooling system again: Air pockets have been a big problem when refilling. Leave the temperature sensor out of its hole while you fill to give a place for the air to escape from that end of the engine. Put it in when the coolant level gets up to it, but the cooling system will be almost full at that point.

#7 ·
Might of already posted this if so excuse me I'm not the best with computers. So
ew
billymade said:

www.newbeetle.org

MEYLE HD: New heavy duty water pump solutions: rated for...
NEW! MEYLE HD Water Pumps; rated, no leak, performance guaranteed for 100k! Many of us; have had their water pumps end up leaking prematurely and this caused us to replace them in the 5 to 7 year range. I myself, have installed Hepu and Graf water pumps with similar results. Because of this...
www.newbeetle.org
www.newbeetle.org

Volkswagen Beetle Engine Parts | FCP Euro
Volkswagen Beetle Engine parts online. Buy OEM & Genuine parts with a Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping and Unlimited 365 Day Returns.
www.fcpeuro.com
Ok so I did order through
billymade said:

www.newbeetle.org

MEYLE HD: New heavy duty water pump solutions: rated for...
NEW! MEYLE HD Water Pumps; rated, no leak, performance guaranteed for 100k! Many of us; have had their water pumps end up leaking prematurely and this caused us to replace them in the 5 to 7 year range. I myself, have installed Hepu and Graf water pumps with similar results. Because of this...
www.newbeetle.org
www.newbeetle.org

Volkswagen Beetle Engine Parts | FCP Euro
Volkswagen Beetle Engine parts online. Buy OEM & Genuine parts with a Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping and Unlimited 365 Day Returns.
www.fcpeuro.com
Ok so I ended up going through Fcpeuro and the meyle hd water pump and continental timing belt had just recently replaced thermostat serpentine belt and belt tensioner so left those alone. I did the work over the weekend and took my time because I didn't want to chance blowing the motor. Right as I was finishing up I was doing the top bolts on the motor mount and the 12mm bolt fell I searched high and low and couldn't find it and seeing that the top part of the timing belt cover wasn't on yet I made the decision not to take a chance and took the whole thing apart again. The bolt ended up not being in there but I will say that it only took a couple hours to tear it down the second time now that I knew what to expect.
I put it all back together turned the key and it purred like a kitten. A couple of days later it started leaking dripping down behind the harmonic balancer . I don't see how I could mess up putting in the pump its 3 bolts and an o ring after getting the timing belt and tensioner which was much harder. Have there been any problems with faulty pimps that you know of or can youthink of something
I might check because I'm about to take it apart for a 3rd time.:rolleyes:

#8 · (Edited)
Install prep is very important; i had a problem with the included rubber o-ring that came with the Meyle HD water pump. When, i installed it the first time; the o-ring was slightly too big and made it hard to install, resulting in the o-ring getting pinched, which would have caused a coolant leak.

Luckily, i saw the pinched o-ring and so, i removed the water pump, bought another water pump seal, using a Felpro brand seal, from my local Autozone. The seal was the correct size, resulting in the pump sliding in much easier, lube it with coolant or silicone spray and that solved that problem. I always, torque the water pump bolts, to spec; just one extra step, to confirm things are evenly installed and reduce the possibility of leaks and incorrect pump installation.

I would check the surface prep of the water pump; clean any rust, debris, smooth down any sharp edges on the bore into the engine block, check for a bad water pump bearing and see if the o-ring is pinched or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Install prep is very important; i had a problem with the included rubber o-ring that came with the Meyle HD water pump. When, i installed it the first time; the o-ring was slightly too big and made it hard to install, resulting in the o-ring getting pinched, which would have caused a coolant leak.

Luckily, i saw the pinched o-ring and so, i removed the water pump, bought another water pump seal, using a Felpro brand seal, from my local Autozone. The seal was the correct size, resulting in the pump sliding in much easier, lube it with coolant or silicone spray and that solved that problem. I always, torque the water pump bolts, to spec; just one extra step, to confirm things see evenly installed and reduce the possibility of leaks and incorrect install.

I would check the surface prep of the water pump; clean any rust, debris, smooth down any sharp edges on the bore into the engine block, check for a bad water pump bearing and see if the o-ring is pinched or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cleaned and wiped the surface down real good also put a little lube on the o-ring before putting it in but something I did notice is that FCP sent a extra O-ring in my package maybe that's why .I'm taking it apart now and will put it back together after work tomorrow I'll keep you updated. thanks for the input .

#12 · (Edited)
Good work! It is easy to damage the o-ring; the surface prep is crucial, lube the seal before installing the pump and the Meyle HD pumps, as noted, have a slightly too big seal (Urgh!). For me, the Felpro replacement seal, and Meyle pump; seems to be doing fine and no leaks, so far! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.