NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing belt and Water pump problems

I just got off the phone with VW and was told, since I had a turbo I didn't need to be concerned about my timing belt or water pump at 90k, as it needs to be replaced at 160k. Also the trouble with the timing belts and water pumps are with the diesels. I said I had heard different.
From what I have read here, and what I have been told is to,.. DO IT NOW!
I am still under warrenty, could that be reason enough that they dont want to do it.
Suggestions??? Anyone?? Please.

Does anyone else have a turbo that went to 160k or there about, before replacing the belt and pump? Has anyone ever heard of it happening?
I am very concerned as I do a fair bit of driving, and Winter is on its way.
Thanks!

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Do it now.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
160K hahaha.

Never heard that number. :p I think your dealership is smokin' crack. :)

That said, you're under warranty till 100K, right? So you COULD wait till then; if it breaks sooner, THEY have to pay for all of it, right? Better make sure they provide you a loaner as well.

Me, I changed mine at 111K. Everything was fine, but my belt was beginning to show some wear.

Everyone seems to think 60K is the time to do it, and ... really I don't know why, that seems awefully soon; when vw intended 100K. I guess they're not holding out as well, you might want to do some searches to see how often they've failed.

160K is completely outrageous though. It'd be nice, but that just doesn't seem reasonable. Perhaps your dealership thinks it was already replaced at 80K? And they think you're talking about your second waterpump/belt?

Yeah, I wouldn't wait long past 100K... but to me, if it goes before 100K, it's THEIR bill. So you 'could' win a free new head, water pump, and timing belt replacement (with all the proper bits). Kinda like playin' the lottery.

I dunno; I'd wait till 100K, but do it soon thereafter. Or RIGHT BEFORE, y'know, so it doesn't break at 101K and leave you screwed.

noR

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I would look for the maintenance schedule in writing for a 2000 1.8T. Because you're at 90K now. If they have it in writing somewhere that the recommended replace interval is 80K and it breaks, they'll deny the warranty claim stating you didn't keep up with the maintenance.

I've heard the "official" for the 2.0L is 105,000 miles.. although I haven't seen it in writing anywhere. But this is something I would check.

Oh, and regardless, DO IT NOW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
160000 KM's is about 100K miles, no?

Anyway, its not the belt that wears, its the poor tensioner. And the poor waterpump. And it will destroy the entire engine when it snaps (it is an interference engine). Yet I still bought a second one...

Anyway, get it changed. Not checked ... changed. Don't wait till it breaks - you will have more headaches than you could imagine.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Well yes, 100k miles is 160k km. But changing the belt at 60k mi (96.5k km) is a smarter choice. Doing it earlier will save a lot of headaches, dollars, and problems. ;)

-Des

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
60k doesn't hurt, like doing 3k oil changes doesn't hurt. The caveat, of course, is that for modified engines (chipped), 60k is probably better, particularly if the water pump is replaced with one sporting a metal fan. 60k may also be good for NBs in extreme climates, but that's just me assuming four seasons are tougher for the belt than the one I have enjoying the Southern California weather.

The belt and pump are checked every 80k. I don't think there is an actual replacement interval for the parts (at least, VW does not publish one), but most show enough wear at the 80k that they are replaced around that time. Many have passed the 80k and some of those see their belts go at 90-100k, so yeah, 80k is probably the maximum.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
noR said:
Doh... conversions.
yeah, i just noticed the part about Canada... I assumed 90k meant 90,000 miles :)

Oh well, nevermind.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
FYI, all my numbers are in miles. Sorry, I got confused, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you one and all, for all your suggestions!
I got a quote on the belt, tensioner and pump. Not too bad, considering its labour intensive.
Now, another question.... Are there any warning/signs b4 the pump, or belt goes? Or does it just go no warning?
Thanks again:)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Well, for the pump.. if only a piece comes off to start with, you might notice the radiator cooling fans running more or running a lot longer when you turn the car off. Timing belt though, when it breaks it breaks. And a lot of time it doesn't "look" worn out.

·
or the '59. Drive em!
24 Posts
Had mine done at 98,500-. Dealer said if the 40k and 80k maintainance was done the warrentee till 100k was good to go (I supose thats when they examine the timing belt; btw I'm the orig. owner)but at 105k miles all bets on the belt were off.

Had a new head at 98,500+ after the oil pump (which they had checked during the timing belt change because the oil pressure light was on) was said was ok, failed. Cam bearing seized, valves bent, etc. VW dealer stood behind the warentee, no charge.

Now at 100,500, new timing belt, water pump, oil pump, head &etc. I better see 165k on this car- my '59 beetle still on the og engine and heads at 163k- or I'm gonna be pissed.

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
Vw recommends replacement at 105K miles on both the 1.8T and the 2.0L engines, and most last that long. As mentioned above, I'd wait til 100K (provided you are the original owner) simply for the fact that it will be their bill if something happens (also assuming you have had the 40/80K services performed).

Personally, I always change mine early...simply because I do all my own work and get parts at cost. Whenever you do decide to get it done, ensure you get the hydraulic tensioner replaced as well as the tensioner roller. Particularly on 1.8T's, I see the hydraulic tensioner itself fail before any of the other components. It's about an additional $150, but that's a pretty meager investment compared to a $2000 cylinder head and the labor that it's replacement entails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts