NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70000 kilometers on my 2000 2.0. Driving on highway today around 130km/h or so, and notice temp gauge climbing past 240. Oil temp was OK..stayed around 220. Pulled over and opened hood to the sweet smell of coolant. Had it towed to mechanics shop. He's not in on Sundays, so out of curiousity, I pulled the thermostat and looked at the water pump. Looked OK, but when I put my finger in, the impeller was hard to turn and I felt little bits of broken plastic. So anyway, that was just a rant, but does anyone have any idea WHY VW would use plastic on such an important part?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Plastic impellers don't shatter as easily, are easier to balance and are lighter weight. So in theory they should out last the metal ones.

In practice though they seem to be failing at a much higher rate than the old metal ones. Fortunatly you can replace the plastic with metal and they are available at www.ecstuning.com.

Remeber to change the timing belt and tensioner while your in there and only use VW coolant.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, getting the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and serpentine belt all done at the same time. Water pump has a metal impeller to boot.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
rcy said:
70000 kilometers on my 2000 2.0. Driving on highway today around 130km/h or so, and notice temp gauge climbing past 240. Oil temp was OK..stayed around 220. Pulled over and opened hood to the sweet smell of coolant. Had it towed to mechanics shop. He's not in on Sundays, so out of curiousity, I pulled the thermostat and looked at the water pump. Looked OK, but when I put my finger in, the impeller was hard to turn and I felt little bits of broken plastic. So anyway, that was just a rant, but does anyone have any idea WHY VW would use plastic on such an important part?
Bad engineering by a supplier that VW/Audi used for the water pump design and production. In practice, a plastic impellar should in theory with its lighter weight, use a smaller bearing and less stout housing. It should also flex and adapt to different RPM's. I will be using the metal impellar unit when I replace it or the timing belt. No doubt... JK

·
I wish I had a shop
15 Posts
so are most replacement water pumps metal impellers now or just the ones you get from ecstunning? I am going to take my car in next week probably and get it all done cause I'm sitting at 67k and getting nervous about my car melting down a few weeks before my dissertation defense. I just want to know if I am better off ordering the stuff from ecs and taking it to the mechanic or if what he will get will be suitable (also will see what he will charge for parts cause it might be cheaper for me to get it myself)

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
opps me a klutz,, I see the ecs HAS a metal impeler..!

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the topic of timing belt/water pump, those that have done it, have you re-used the tensioner pulley bolts and the engine mount bolts, or have you replaced them with new ones? The Bentley calls them 'stretch bolts' and recommends always replacing them.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
My ultimate timing belt kit from ecs had a tensioner pulley with a bolt in it. Didn't seem like a stretch bolt, but I (we) did use the new one. I had new side engine mount stretch bolts. I can't remember if they are part of the kit but I made sure I had and used those.

It took us a good full 12 hours with 3-4 people working pretty hard on it. Straightforward but some figuring stuff out and trying things more than once, especially with the tensioner and tensioner pulley.

ECS tuning wanted $425 for the labor to do this. If I could have come up with that it would have been well worth it. On the other hand I now know that every bolt has been accurately torqued and all that. Satisfaction in a job well done is worth something.

·
ROBYN
16 Posts
I Has The Same Problem And It Caused My Head Gasket To Blow I Am Trying To Write Vw In Seeing Ifi They Could Issue Something About The Water Pump I Feel It Is Not Made Well And I Am Going To Have This Problem Again! Everyone Needs To Call Vw And Complain To Get A Warranty Or Reinbursed For This Problem I Just Spent 1300

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
SMG said:
Hey guys,

I'm interested in the ECS timing belt kit, how many hours of labour would the dealer take to install this? (ballpark)

Thanks!

SMG
my local mechanic took about a day and half! i don't know how many hours they actually worked on it though. i was quoted $430 for the labor - unfortunately, i don't know what he charges per hour. when i bought the kit from ECS, i also bought the seals and engine bolts, as recommended by another orger. i figured might as well get it done right. all parts, including shipping, was $190.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My friend and I tackled a V6 accord in about 3 days. I hope we can do my 2.0's belt in a day (12-16hr). I'm also going with the ecstuning water pump, I feel safer with a metal one (I have a 02, I'll see if mine is plastic or metal when we replace it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts