NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm new here, and first of all, thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with those of us in need!:)

I just bought my 2nd beetle, a 2005 New Beetle with the Turbo 1.8L engine, convertible My young daughter begged all summer for a "car with no top" and so when my old free-B beater sedan died, I went and ahead and allowed myself pick out something fun to drive again, for the first time in many years. :cool:

The beetle I had prior to this one was a '78 Super Beetle Fuel Injected, sunshine orange with a black rag top. So I caught the bug way back then and it just needed an excuse to pop back up :D

So anyway, I bought my New Beetle used with 85k miles on her, and after having her oil changed right after buying her, the mechanic informed me that she has been in a front-end collision in the past, and that only minor and/or cosmetic repairs were done. He said the A/C compressor appears to have been smooshed (although I tested the A/C and it ran cold) and he said it's rubbing against a support frame, and the front engine shield is missing. So I have an appointment with my auto repair mechanic to address these issues asap.

Meanwhile, since she has no temp guage, I've noticed when I start her up cold, the water temp light is illuminated for the first 20-30 seconds or so, then it goes out. Is that normal?

Then, this morning, I idled her cold for about 5 minutes before leaving the house to warm it up inside for my kiddo, and the water temp light stayed illuminated a bit longer than what I've noticed before, while driving down the street. It was about 56 degrees F outside at the time. Is this normal for it to get so hot to make the temp light stay on longer, just for idling for 5 mins? :confused:

Is this engine air cooled? Since the engine shield is missing, is this affecting the engine cooling system? How does the engine cool itself while it's sitting?

I have the engine shield on my list as the No. 1 thing to get installed and pronto.

I heard a fan come one the first time I brought her home and turned off the engine, so that is working.

I've looked under the hood, and I can't see any visible damage. The mechanic told me he could see the damage when he had the car up on the lift to do the oil change--.

If your wondering, don't, my lawyer says I have no recourse in my state, so that's a no go, BTW. I'm just going to have her fixed and love her anyways.

BTW, any tips on where to find a leatherette cover for a rear headrest? The padded cover is missing from the left rear one.
I've called the local salvage yards and no one has New Beetles. I've looked online and prices are ^^. I'm going to check this website for a parts classified section, sure hope it has one!

Thanks bunches and bunches, you guys rock :guitar:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
The engine is water cooled, not air cooled so you have coolant circulating even while at idle to cool the engine.

The blue light coming on sounds normal. It is a light to tell you that the engine isn't up to temp yet so don't drive it too hard. Once the light goes out, you're good to go. Idling won't warm up the engine as quickly as driving it will.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
When you start your beetle the blue temp light should come on and stay on until the engine is up to operating temp. The engine is water cooled, the reservoir should be on the passenger side. Maybe you have a faulty temp sending unit? I was told that they fail... I believe that is on the drivers side of the motor... Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since you have a turbo, the engine needs to warm up so you don't damage the turbo. You can drive it with the light on but no hot rodding!

·
Super Moderator
14,787 Posts
In cold weather, mine stays on longer than in the summer temps. I'd say it's normal. The same in every NB I've had in the last 10 years. :)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
splash shield

it's not an engine air shield but just a splash shield. One in the center and two on the sides. Small Rodents keep breaking mine all the time :p, Farm roads in TEXAS are bad for that especially as low as these cars are. good luck and welcome to new beetle.org

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
it's not an engine air shield but just a splash shield. One in the center and two on the sides. Small Rodents keep breaking mine all the time :p, Farm roads in TEXAS are bad for that especially as low as these cars are. good luck and welcome to new beetle.org
She has a convertible and the splash shield in her case is actually a full metal skid plate not the cheap plastic POS that the rest of us Sedan drivers have.
Here is a pic.

Much more heavy duty which helps with the structual integrety of the convertible since it doesn't have a roof.

I already posted this in the other link for MrsBeetle.

Also suggested to get the Timing Belt/waterpump service done ASAP. The car has 85k miles and is 8 years old. Definitely time for this very very very did I mention VERY ... IMPORTANT and CRUCIAL maintenance to be performed. Don't wait until the timing belt breaks or you will be looking at thousands of dollars in repairs. Also if she has an Automatic I would suggest a fluid and filter change at this time. I am sure whoever got rid of the beetle did it because all these VERY NECESSARY maintenance items are NOW due. Please don't overlook them or your beloved beetle can be a real Money Pit and become your worst nightmare.

And yes, the blue temp light does stay on for a few minutes until the engine warms up. Nothing to worry about there. ;)
Now get that timing belt/Water pump service done!!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Here is everything you need to perform a proper timing belt service:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Timing Belt > ES#5954 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 06B198479 V2WAF

Here in Indianapolis I know a shop EP Werks that will install it for you for $400 Dollars including the new thermostat which a lot of shops will not. So the total including labor would be $638.40 Most reputalbe VW service shops (not the stealer/dealer) will perform the timing belt service for around $750-800 Dollars including parts and labor. The dealer will charge between 1300-1700 Dollars depending on the work they do. I heard from a very good source that they only replace the parts that they deem necessary and charge you top dollar for them. That way they have you comming back over and over again. Nice little racket they have going on. So make sure before you commit to any service being done what exactly that service includes. It should include timing belt, accessory belt, new water pump, tensioner and pulley. It really should include a new thermostat and new thermostat housing but a lot of shops will charge you another 150 bucks to install the thermostat and housing which is crazy.
Good Luck and post some pics of your baby. ;)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
shield

you got that right indytom it's a plastic pos in our cars I hope I don't hit another wild pig cuase I'll be stranded for sure next time. :D it's funny but not that funny...:p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
you got that right indytom it's a plastic pos in our cars I hope I don't hit another wild pig cuase I'll be stranded for sure next time. :D it's funny but not that funny...:p
Hmm,Now I know where to go when I get hungry for a BBQ :D
Do they call you the Porky Pig Hunter? :D

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has a convertible and the splash shield in her case is actually a full metal skid plate not the cheap plastic POS that the rest of us Sedan drivers have.

Much more heavy duty which helps with the structual integrety of the convertible since it doesn't have a roof.

Also suggested to get the Timing Belt/waterpump service done ASAP. The car has 85k miles and is 8 years old. Definitely time for this very very very did I mention VERY ... IMPORTANT and CRUCIAL maintenance to be performed. Don't wait until the timing belt breaks or you will be looking at thousands of dollars in repairs. Also if she has an Automatic I would suggest a fluid and filter change at this time.
Once again I find myself thanking you all for sharing your expertise. :grovel:

Wow have the beetles changed since my '78 SB. LOL I will get the timing belt/waterpump service done immediately.

Regarding her tranny, thank goodness she has a ST which I actually preferred because of the savings in fuel and reduced costs to maintain/repair vs. the AT/Triptronic (I think I spelled that right) should anything go wrong with THAT. I just visualized $$ flying out the window when I test drove one with the AT/Triptronic, and get this--that one had 85k miles on her too LOL. I mean it would be cool to have that tranny, and it sure was awesome to drive, but on my budget at the time, my goal is to be frugal (as possible) while still having fun with my new bug. :D

Thank you SO MUCH for the picture of the skid plate because I could not tell from doing my internet part hunting and research as to what I needed exactly. Your picture and description makes more sense as to what the mechanic was trying to explain to me as to what was missing--he made it sound like a big deal :eek: and then when I saw engine shields online (plastic) for $20 something, I thought that can't be that big of a deal :confused:, but my instincts told me otherwise when the mechanic's words rang in my memory that it has something also to do with funneling air through the engine to help with cooling :eek:, hence my continuing to probe on this issue:confused:. Therefore the much heavier variety in your picture definitely makes more sense. Given you say it also plays into the structural integrity, which makes sense, I'm going to be extra careful driving her until I can get that installed. Too bad my alternative is an 8 Cyl F250 Super Duty and gas is $4 a gallon, otherwise I'd park her until her surgery date. :(

I am having a heck of a time finding the padded cover to the rear headrest, which flew off when I was going down the road. I went back and looked for it to no avail--winding road through the mountains doesn't help. A bear probably ran off with it. :cry::cry: I have the feeling I'm going to be forking over $170 for the thing, from the only website I could find that sells them at less $ than dealer rip off prices. It's only leatherette for goodness sake. :mad: Every time I look in the rear view mirror, I just cringe inside.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dont know what color of interior you have or what color these were but the following salvage yards have some Convertible Beetle's, they may have the head rest that you need.
I know its a long way from you but shipping is easy.

Fox Auto Salvage in Ohio - (330) 453-4600
http://www.foxautosalvage.com
Has a 2003

Highway 70 Auto parts in Tennessee - (615) 952-9370
Highway 70 Auto Parts, Inc.
Had two one a 2004 and a later model, don't recall the year.

K

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Once again I find myself thanking you all for sharing your expertise. :grovel:

Wow have the beetles changed since my '78 SB. LOL I will get the timing belt/waterpump service done immediately.

Regarding her tranny, thank goodness she has a ST which I actually preferred because of the savings in fuel and reduced costs to maintain/repair vs. the AT/Triptronic (I think I spelled that right) should anything go wrong with THAT. I just visualized $$ flying out the window when I test drove one with the AT/Triptronic, and get this--that one had 85k miles on her too LOL. I mean it would be cool to have that tranny, and it sure was awesome to drive, but on my budget at the time, my goal is to be frugal (as possible) while still having fun with my new bug. :D

Thank you SO MUCH for the picture of the skid plate because I could not tell from doing my internet part hunting and research as to what I needed exactly. Your picture and description makes more sense as to what the mechanic was trying to explain to me as to what was missing--he made it sound like a big deal :eek: and then when I saw engine shields online (plastic) for $20 something, I thought that can't be that big of a deal :confused:, but my instincts told me otherwise when the mechanic's words rang in my memory that it has something also to do with funneling air through the engine to help with cooling :eek:, hence my continuing to probe on this issue:confused:. Therefore the much heavier variety in your picture definitely makes more sense. Given you say it also plays into the structural integrity, which makes sense, I'm going to be extra careful driving her until I can get that installed. Too bad my alternative is an 8 Cyl F250 Super Duty and gas is $4 a gallon, otherwise I'd park her until her surgery date. :(

I am having a heck of a time finding the padded cover to the rear headrest, which flew off when I was going down the road. I went back and looked for it to no avail--winding road through the mountains doesn't help. A bear probably ran off with it. :cry::cry: I have the feeling I'm going to be forking over $170 for the thing, from the only website I could find that sells them at less $ than dealer rip off prices. It's only leatherette for goodness sake. :mad: Every time I look in the rear view mirror, I just cringe inside.
Are you sure that this is the skid plate that is missing? It's a pretty heavy duty part which is bolted down securely in several places. The only way I can see that this piece would be missing if someone didn't put it back on after doing an oil change. Perhaps the mechanic is referring to one of the plastic side engine and transmission guards? Those do get damages easily and are a lot cheaper to replace than the Convertible skid plate. I would have it put up on a lift and see for yourself what is damaged before commiting to any major replacements or repairs. It wouldn't hurt to have a CarFax report done on the car. It may cost you a few bucks but at least it will give you a better picture of the history of the vehicle.
I checked on E-Bay this morning and found 2 Convertible Rear headrests for 84 bucks which I thought was a good deal. Problem is that they are for a 2004 and I think the style changed slightly in 2005 so I don't think those will fit your car but I could be wrong.

VW BEETLE CONVERTIBLE-VW NEW BEETLE REAR HEAD REST SET OF TWO 1999-2004 | eBay

Perhaps you should still use the cushions?

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you sure that this is the skid plate that is missing? It's a pretty heavy duty part which is bolted down securely in several places. The only way I can see that this piece would be missing if someone didn't put it back on after doing an oil change. Perhaps the mechanic is referring to one of the plastic side engine and transmission guards? Those do get damages easily and are a lot cheaper to replace than the Convertible skid plate. I would have it put up on a lift and see for yourself what is damaged before commiting to any major replacements or repairs. It wouldn't hurt to have a CarFax report done on the car. It may cost you a few bucks but at least it will give you a better picture of the history of the vehicle.
I checked on E-Bay this morning and found 2 Convertible Rear headrests for 84 bucks which I thought was a good deal. Problem is that they are for a 2004 and I think the style changed slightly in 2005 so I don't think those will fit your car but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, yes I'm sure it's the skid plate that is missing. I took her in for an oil change and inspection after I purchased her and the oil change mechanic, who does not do engine work so there's no profit in it for him to tell me this, informed me that she has some damage from a front end collision which was minimally repaired and that the engine shield is missing and that it's a big deal, to get it repaired asap.

So I found this forum and have been researching to get educated before I shell out a bunch of money. When I do take her in to my preferred shop, I'll for sure get underneath her when she's up on the lift and have them show me exactly what all is damaged/missing.

Thanks a million for finding those on Ebay, I've been searching ever since Sunday LOLOL. I'll check them out! Hopefully they fit and are not black. LOL

You guys are great. I'm so glad I found you. Thanks so much. :grovel:

Attachments

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I checked these out--thanks for taking your time to find them :hugkiss: --I think I'll call my body shop and ask if they do upholstery work and can just make one based on the existing one as a pattern. These on Ebay are significantly different than the ones on my 2005 NB because mine doesn't insert into the back seats like these--these appear to be front seat headrests. I remember seeing these. The rear headrests on my bug have a pretty heavy duty looking alloy frame thingie. I like your idea to try modifying one of these covers. That might work...I'll have to post what I find out because I bet I'm not the only one to have lost a headrest cover while flying down the road with a chair dancing passenger in the back...LOLOL

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont know what color of interior you have or what color these were but the following salvage yards have some Convertible Beetle's, they may have the head rest that you need.
I know its a long way from you but shipping is easy.

Fox Auto Salvage in Ohio - (330) 453-4600
Fox Auto Parts used and new aftermarket auto and truck parts
Has a 2003

Highway 70 Auto parts in Tennessee - (615) 952-9370
Highway 70 Auto Parts, Inc.
Had two one a 2004 and a later model, don't recall the year.

K
OMG :guitar: I'm gonna call these yards asap!! Thanks a million! :):):)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Lol

We are here to help.....Or make jokes about U LOL :p just kidding we love working on our cars. @indytom-no roadkill lately, sorry no TEXAS BBQ :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts