NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been runnning my NB with Autometer gauges for the past year & the water temp is normally between 190-195*F. I have since had the Bernt hood installed, so theorhetically, the temps should go down, however they have increased and now I'm noticing water temps running between 200-210*F. I'm concerned, but am I being paranoid? I've read about the plastic impellers going bad in the water pump, but I only have 15,000 miles on the car and it's a 2001. Should I have this looked into by VW?No, I don't drive it much & it is garage kept in Maryland.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
The Ecu of the car adapts, and tries to keep the car within a window of temperature.
I have made tons of mods to make it cooler just to find that 2 or 3 weeks later the Bug resets itself and gets back to its operating "window"

Normally when driven it should read 195-215 no less no more COMPLETELY NORMAL.

if you put the AC on the temps will go down 5 to 10 degrees, but if you are on a up hill climb a with AC on I have seen mine get to 220! (and drop to 205-210 without AC).

Dont worry if you break the water pump the Bug will overheat very fast, and with the autometer you will be able to spot it right away....

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
The 2000 Beetle 1.8t had a design flaw in the water pump but I'm not sure that the 2001 shared this problem, VW may have corrected this on the 2001 models.

I would check with the VW Service Dept. regarding this but either way yours should be under warranty at this point.

I have a customized Bernt hood and a FMIC and I run coolant temps. in approximately the same temp. ranges mentioned, you should be fine as long as your coolant temps. don't start creeping up toward the 240+ degree fahrenheit area.

Make sure you use only VW G12 coolant in a 50/50 mixture and I'd recommend adding the proper amount of Redline Waterwetter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'll have VW look at the thermostat first & since it should be under warenty, go from there.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
redbaron said:
I've been runnning my NB with Autometer gauges for the past year & the water temp is normally between 190-195*F. I have since had the Bernt hood installed, so theorhetically, the temps should go down, however they have increased and now I'm noticing water temps running between 200-210*F. I'm concerned, but am I being paranoid? I've read about the plastic impellers going bad in the water pump, but I only have 15,000 miles on the car and it's a 2001. Should I have this looked into by VW?No, I don't drive it much & it is garage kept in Maryland.
Normal operating temp range for the 1.8 turbo is from 183 degrees F to a max of 221. The stage 1 fan speed which is only the smaller fan running at slow speed switches on at about 197 F and switches off at 183 to 195 F. The fan module kicks it up to stage 2 when the coolant temp. get to 210 to 221 and switches them off at 195 to 208 degrees F. Stage 2 for the fan module is both fans running at high speed. This module can run only the smaller fan at slow speed or both fans at slow speed. It can also run one fan at high speed or both at high speed. It is a very effecient cooling system for only having 5.3 quarts of coolant mix. The fan module is controled by the temp. input from the thermal switch and temp sender thats located at the very end and bottom of the drivers side of the radiator. It's bolted to the outside of radiator(26 ft lbs) and can be replaced with no coolant loss. The VW VAG-COM scanner can scan the entire fan module to check for any faults ar failed components. Always only use a 50/50 mix of G-12 VW antifreeze and distilled water.
If your car is warming up at all, the thermostat is fine. Our thermostats fail in the open position only. That would prevent the engine from fully warming up except on very hot days. Good luck with this all. I would love to have 2 coolant temp guages. One for the top hose that would measure coolant temp directly from the engine block and another for the bottom hose to measure how effective the radiator was disapating the heat from the coolant. Has anyone done this ??? JK

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I have 2 temp gauges ( I am very ANAL on engine temps) one on the "normal place" the entrance of the radiator, I was going to put the second on the exit but made a quick setup and the temp it is always the same ...so what I did was put one on top of the head and attach it with computer CPU heat transfer grease an sealed it.... so I can see the temp of the 20V head, when both temp gauges are aroung 210 it means I am stuck in traffic on a hot day! , basically the head temp is always cooler than the water temp, so that is good in my book....I have just ordered the metal water pump and the 6 to 10 degress (c) lower temp sensor and will make a report on it...

·
Registered
91 Posts
FYI: got a 2000, APH, my water temp is anywhere from 200-215. Too Cold: what was the design flaw in the 2000 water pumps? do you think the dealer would use the updated one (is there one) if they changed it recently (like mine was)?

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
ninsei said:
FYI: got a 2000, APH, my water temp is anywhere from 200-215. Too Cold: what was the design flaw in the 2000 water pumps? do you think the dealer would use the updated one (is there one) if they changed it recently (like mine was)?
The working portion of the original unit was made of a composite material that didn't hold up very well and had a tendancy to break.

When mine was replaced under warranty the tech told me that the new replacement pump was of a different design and that it wouldn't suffer that failure again, however I didn't discuss with what the difference is.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
the impeller on the stock on is plastic and the new ones or "aftermarket are metal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water Temp Range Repost- in metric

Hey guys~

I have a 2002 1.8T and just added some Defi Black-Faced gauges and needed the temps in Metric as they are straight from Japan. I bought them in the 60mm face and they fit (with some minor modification) into the Autometer triple dash pod. NICE!

But without further ado here is the ranges stated prior in metric as well as stated earlier by John Koch:

Normal operating temp range for the 1.8 turbo is from 183 F (83.89 C) to a max of 221 F (104.99 C).

The stage 1 fan speed which is only the smaller fan running at slow speed switches on at about 197 F (91.67 C) and switches off at 183 (83.89 C) to 195 F (90.56 C).

The fan module kicks it up to stage 2 when the coolant temp. gets to 210 F (98.89 C) to 221 (104.99 C) and switches them off at 195 (90.56 C) to 208 F (97.78 C).

Stage 2 for the fan module is both fans running at high speed.

I placed only one water temp sensor on the top hose near the actual sender from VW. Great minds think alike. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts