NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help fast because its an outside beetle:D and its raining everyday now (south florida)

My wife has a 99 beetle with a sunroof and we noticed its getting water inside with the heavy rains.

The worst is the rear passanger floor which is soaked...like almost being able to splash around soaked.

Then there is the rear seat on the drivers side which has water where the seat and back rest meet. Also looks like a few drops on the rear driver side window:(

Where are the main causes of this and how can I fix it today before the rain comes again and the beetle turns into a fish bowl

·
5/23/10 <3
11,077 Posts
Clogged sunroof drains. You'll need to get them cleaned out. I know there was a recall on some of them...if you search around here you should be able to find info on that.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Sounds like a clogged sunroof drain or check the gasket on the rear hatch for holes,rips, looseness, etc.
To fix the drains take a long piece of string trimmer line and run it thru the drain to make sure it is clear.the drain outlet on the back drains is the small rubber piece near the roof to hatch connection. You should be able to see it with the hatch open.
The drains are also part of a recall by VW Not sure how far back they are going in model years. Might want to call a dealer and check it out. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a clogged sunroof drain or check the gasket on the rear hatch for holes,rips, looseness, etc.
To fix the drains take a long piece of string trimmer line and run it thru the drain to make sure it is clear.the drain outlet on the back drains is the small rubber piece near the roof to hatch connection. You should be able to see it with the hatch open.
The drains are also part of a recall by VW Not sure how far back they are going in model years. Might want to call a dealer and check it out. good luck
There are a total of 4 plugs when the hatch is open. Which two do I pop out to clean??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dumb question...I found the two plugs and removed the covers. Only a little dirt/mud came out.

I had my wife put the hose on top of the car when I was in it and there is a lot of water coming through the back of the sunroof.
It was draining then backed up and all the water poured out right where the rear seat was wet on the drivers side.

Nothing was leaking on the passangers side so I have no idea how all that water was able to flood the rear floor.

ALSO does anyone know if that recall covers 1999 beetles?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,077 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My back seat was wet alot. And water would Pour in from the rear corner on the passenger side when I went around a curve. With the rear hatch open, right on top at eye level are two small round/oval shaped black rubber stoppers. One of mine had fallen out. For a quick fix I put a piece of tape over the hole amd it worked until I could order another plug for the hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts