NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and I gotta say, I'm WAY OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE! I just bought a 2000 NB with the 1.8L Turbo in it. It's been sitting in a storage building and hasn't been started or seen the light of day for 17 years! I couldn't resist buying it since it only has 69k miles on it, but the kicker is that it was parked because there was an "engine issue". I have every service record that was ever done on the car, at the dealer it was purchased from, since day one. The biggest thing that was done to it was that the turbo was replaced at 55k under warranty. I know there is a lot ahead of me to get it back on the road but super excited to see what it can do when it's running. This brings me to my "survey" with everyone... What would be the top five things you would do to it? I definitely want to do a tune to it but from there, I'm open for options.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
If its been sitting for that long, I would definitely get some serious maintenance done on it. #1 would be the timing belt/water pump. I would also be checking over the cooling system - very prone to leaks in a regular car. Also go through and check the suspension components.

Biggest thing is getting it in top mechanical condition. Then a tune can happen. Also, is it a manual or auto?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its been sitting for that long, I would definitely get some serious maintenance done on it. #1 would be the timing belt/water pump. I would also be checking over the cooling system - very prone to leaks in a regular car. Also go through and check the suspension components.

Biggest thing is getting it in top mechanical condition. Then a tune can happen. Also, is it a manual or auto?
Thanks for your input! Manual trans.

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
Great find. Good luck. If you haven't started it yet, read up on starting a car that's been sitting. Drain and replace the gas. Pull the plugs and fog the cylinders with a little oil to lubricate the pistons.

If you don't have a code reader, that's my first rec. V-gate icar2 works well for me but ross-tech vcds is the best (though pricey).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update.... motor is TOAST!!! lots of pieces in the oil pan and it's time for a new motor. Found a pinched vacuum tube and thinking that it caused a lean issue on the bad cylinder.

Update to the Update..... Found a motor that was less than 30 days in the yard, car hit hard in the rear. was 2001 model and only has 18K on it!!! If anyone needs parts, Aikey Auto Salvage in Iowa is where it's at. They have the car there and the trans as well. Guy said it was a shame cuz it was in such good shape but that's the way it goes guess.

Here's my question.... I see one thread of someone posting pics of taking the front end off to remove the motor. Is this the best way? Anyone have any other pics they can share or any tips are greatly appreciated. Working on it now and I'm all ears!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
I would say yes, removing the front end is the best way. We did that on a mk4 Jetta TDI and that car has a lot more room to work than a New Beetle! Its not too difficult to get the front end off, and you'll have a lot more room.

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
Front clip removal:

Wow, engine swap, big job, good luck!
You initially asked about top 5 recommendations; I'd say while you're in that deep: clutch upgrade; 3" downpipe; clutch fork mod (known issue for fortifying a known weak point); timing belt / tensioner because they may be low miles but old age. Upgrade motor mounts / dogbone. Perhaps youte not looking for top 5s anymore lol but i thought I'd throw those out there. I also went with 1"taller 1" wider rims for better cornering (Audi fat fives).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Remove the front end. With the front off the engine doesn't pull it drops right down on the legs of the engine puller and slides right out the front, transmission and all.

I just did a clutch on my daughters beetle, I will never pull another engine, transmission or both without the front off. I've had the engine 5 feet in the air trying to shoehorn it back in, not fun. With the front off you lower the engine out and the lift it back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update.... motor is TOAST!!! lots of pieces in the oil pan and it's time for a new motor. Found a pinched vaccuum tube and thinking that it caused a lean issue on the bad cylinder.

Update to the Update..... Found a motor that was less than 30 days in the yard, car hit hard in the rear. was 2001 model and only has 18K on it!!! If anyone needs parts, Aikey Auto Salvage in Iowa is where it's at. They have the car there and the trans as well. Guy said it was a shame cuz it was in such good shape but that's the way it goes guess.

Here's my question.... I see one thread of someone posting pics of taking the front end off to remove the motor. Is this the best way? Anyone have any other pics they can share or any tips are greatly appreciated. Working on it now and I'm all ears!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well... it's been a long day but IT'S OUTTA THERE!

Thanks for all the help, it was a brutal job to say the least. We ended up dropping it out from the bottom, UGH! got too far in before it was too late. Nice thing is, I own a shop and a lift so it wasn't that bad. I'm not a mechanic by trade, instead, I do car and truck accessories.... The fun stuff, as I tell people.

Thanks for the upgrade ideas too. I'm gunna start hittin' up some sites and see what I can get for it.

Keep ya updated, Thanks again!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
Before you go any further, I would still consider doing the maintenance work like the timing belt on this used motor. 18k on it yes, but there are a lot of years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing I can suggest is that you should invest everything for your car like time, effort, money and even spend time to find someone who can help you fix your car and get it back to the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts