NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

In the GTG's, why does every few States have its own board, and then the rest of the world shares one board.

If Americans comprise 2% of the world's population, then why do Americans have 90% of the Events forums?

This is like having a 9 boards for Batik Blue 1.8T Verts, and then one forum for 'Everything Else'

I think the US should have one (subdivided into it's 9 categories), Canada should have one, and several other countries that have good NB communities deserve one too.

SMG

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
SMG said:
Hey Guys,

In the GTG's, why does every few States have its own board, and then the rest of the world shares one board.

If Americans comprise 2% of the world's population, then why do Americans have 90% of the Events forums?

This is like having a 9 boards for Batik Blue 1.8T Verts, and then one forum for 'Everything Else'

I think the US should have one (subdivided into it's 9 categories), Canada should have one, and several other countries that have good NB communities deserve one too.

SMG
I'm not opposed to your idea, but your stats are way off. Take a look at NewBeetle.org visitors' languages in the past 72 hours. Americans may make up 2% of the population (maybe, I dunno, but that's what you said)...but they make a up a very large percentage of both Internet users and New Beetle drivers. You can also look at the member list yourself, if you like. We've got about 600 members registered. About 325 of them have entered their country. 260 of those are USA.

Again, I like the idea of making more forums for more areas. I'm just saying -- these decisions aren't made willy-nilly. We have stats to back them up. We know something about the demographics of our users -- and the fact is that most of them are American.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the stats that I chose to form my argument were dead-on ;)

Just because Mac users form 4% of the computer market, that doesn't mean that only 4% of software made works on a Mac.

"We've got about 600 members registered. About 325 of them have entered their country. 260 of those are USA."

So, 43% of the sites members are for-sure Americans.

So, 20% of the confirmed demographic members are from outside the US.

So, the rest of the world needs a minimum of another forum, and I vote it goes to Canada :D

SMG

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Again, I'm not disagreeing at all with the need for more varied regional forums, but how can you say that you stats were "dead-on" when you said that Americans make up 2% of the population? It's obvious they make up well over half the NewBeetle.org population, from the both the member list and the language string of their browser.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using global population, as you can't really refer to a site's population, because an internet site cannot be populated..

pop·u·late P Pronunciation Key (ppy-lt)
tr.v. pop·u·lat·ed, pop·u·lat·ing, pop·u·lates
To supply with inhabitants, as by colonization; people.
To live in; inhabit: creatures that populate the ocean depths.

SMG

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
SMG said:
I was using global population, as you can't really refer to a site's population, because an internet site cannot be populated..

pop·u·late P Pronunciation Key (ppy-lt)
tr.v. pop·u·lat·ed, pop·u·lat·ing, pop·u·lates
To supply with inhabitants, as by colonization; people.
To live in; inhabit: creatures that populate the ocean depths.

SMG
Heh. Semantics, semantics. I'd say this site definitely has a population. :)

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Wait a minute... :confused:

We already have a Canadian forum. We've also got a French-language and a Spanish-language forum so far. And by those stats, perhaps we should consider a German or Dutch forum in the future?

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
ASurroca said:
Wait a minute... :confused:

We already have a Canadian forum. We've also got a French-language and a Spanish-language forum so far. And by those stats, perhaps we should consider a German or Dutch forum in the future?
Yeah, it sounds like those would be the two next-most important ones.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Hey, where's the forum for us people who are Americans, with New Beetle 2.0's that have German Configurated ECU's in there car...

Oh wait

I'm the only one...Sorry!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
SMG said:
Hey Guys,

SMG
i think this was done this way because most of the ORG's population are americans. i don't think jeff's trying to discriminate, but rather make sections based on who's a member here.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
nefarious said:
Hey why isn't there a forum for us 2.3 V5 engine owners??

Only joking... bit too specific for me, I like em all thrown in together.
Haha, wouldn't you be the like only one in that forum? :D

Wait, me must have more V5 owners, right? :confused:

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
SMG said:
Whatever dude, I don't care.

I'm happy I didn't sponsor the site yet, if it doesn't want to scratch my back, I don't want to scratch it's back :mad:

SMG
That's a little pre-emptive, don't you think? The first two replys you got said it's a good idea, but they need more demand before it's made. But it's your chice to become a MS or not, and if you dont feel the need, we'll still like you anyway.

CrazyJames said:
I think this is a very good idea, and we shall take a look into it.
jcroft said:
Again, I like the idea of making more forums for more areas. I'm just saying -- these decisions aren't made willy-nilly.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
SMG said:
Hey Guys,

You know, we obviously mis-read SMG here. This is in reference specifically to the Event Announcements and Planning forum.

In this case, I'm going to have to agree. Even if there wouldn't be too many posts in any given section, I really think we need to segment the catch-all section more. If I live in Italy and want to see if there are any events coming up, I'd rather have to click on, say "European Events" than a miscellaneous section where I'd have to sift through events from all over the world.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I wasnt saying he was wrong, i do think that "rest of the world" section for gtg's isn't the best thing.

I think there should be a canda sectoin (or maybe a few), and a europe section, aussie ection, etc...

But before anyone does so, we should see how much demand is out for any of these sections.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
ASurroca said:
If I live in Italy and want to see if there are any events coming up, I'd rather have to click on, say "European Events" than a miscellaneous section where I'd have to sift through events from all over the world.

Yeah; but we've got to decide which sections to break out ; and how much. Is continental break-downs enough? I don't think so.

Which country's get special attention?
(We have 4 Italian members, 8 British, and 6 Germans)... is that enough for an Italy, British, or German section? Should they reallyl all be crammed in a European section?)

I'm also concerned with staying w/in our bounds. I know there's other newbeetle forums out there; and we all seem to be playing along together nicely. I don't want to be typed as tryin' to take over their gig; y'know?

... I'm going to take our discussion on this and bring it up w/the moderators.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts