NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Beetle. It seems like every morning it takes a little bit longer to start. I've read through the forum and noticed a lot of people have mentioned that the drivers side door lock mechanism can cause the battery to drain over night?

I have noticed that the drivers side door will lock with the remote sometimes, and sometimes I have to lock it with the key. I haven't had a car in a while so I don't have a mechanic. If it's an easy fix, I'd prefer to do it myself, but at the very least I'd like to know what the problem is before taking it to the mechanic and having him claim alternator, starter, and battery problems, and spend a fortune not fixing it.

Any feedback or suggestions someone might have on this, or similar issues, would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There are a number of internal electronics which place a slight drain on the battery. They don't require "fixing", they are that way by design. VW actually learned this problem and shipped the Bugs with solar chargers which in most were removed by the dealers on receipt.

Sounds as if you have a battery of the verge of dead. After driving, with it charged up, stop by a corner autoparts store and have it checked. Some will even do the new battery install for free. If this is the "upside", the "downside" is it could be the alternator going out. They can check that also.

The remote situation could very easily be the remote battery.

MORAV

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a number of internal electronics which place a slight drain on the battery. They don't require "fixing", they are that way by design. VW actually learned this problem and shipped the Bugs with solar chargers which in most were removed by the dealers on receipt.

Sounds as if you have a battery of the verge of dead. After driving, with it charged up, stop by a corner autoparts store and have it checked. Some will even do the new battery install for free. If this is the "upside", the "downside" is it could be the alternator going out. They can check that also.

The remote situation could very easily be the remote battery.

MORAV
Awesome, thanks! That's certainly an "upside". I read about some quirks with the door and was hoping it wasn't something odd. It wouldn't surprise me if the used car dealership I bought it from put in a skunky batter.

Advance Auto checks the battery and alternator for free, right?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, just had to have that done while traveling. It was the alternator :(, but had to buy a battery to get me to a shop that could do the alternator since I had driven on just the battery for two days and it was dead. They also install the batteries for no charge.

Good luck! Here's hoping it's as simple as the battery!

M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback.

I took it to Advance Auto and they checked the battery, alternator, and starter, and all are fine.

I'd really like to pinpoint the problem before taking it to a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There is another, almost identical thread, running on the Org, just read it yesterday, where the OPer and Mechanic are doing checks of battery draw on an ongoing basis. I think it's under something about aftermarket radio and the possibility of it draining the battery. You might want to find and follow.

Sorry it wasn't something simple.

MORAV

·
Registered
183 Posts
They told me my starter was good at Auto Zone when it was tested.It would spin great when there was no load on it.Bought one at O'reily's auto parts(Auto Zone didn't hae one)and it solved my problem.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent!

Excellent! I love "Happy Endings"! LMFAO

Auto Zone :)thumbsdn:) Thought you were doing Advanced Auto! :)bigthumb:), But O'Reilley's :)bigthumb:)

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts