NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have posted on here before with problems with my car but forgot my login- anyway, 1998 2.0L named Blu. 82k miles on him now.

He has been haunted by electrical problems! But I have learned to live with many of them. However, certain circumstances with my living arrangements will soon dictate that I need to deal with one of these problems...

Ever since I replaced my ignition switch (...& starter...& alternator...) about two years ago, my car has been a very fickle beastie. Here's exactly what it does:

If I do not lock the doors, it starts up, runs, and drives no problem.

However, if I lock the doors... (if you feed the gremlin after midnight...) it does this:

When you go to unlock the door via the key (I don't have a fob), the alarm goes off, usually for 15-20 minutes. Flashing lights, screaming like it's being gutted...highly embarassing. Turning the key in the lock doesn't help. The ignition also won't start. Eventually, it will settle down... and then sometimes it will start, sometimes it won't. It once sat in the parking lot of my old job for THREE DAYS because it would not start, if you put the key in the switch it just freaked out and wouldn't start. Then magically it decided it was ready to go home now and started. Since that event I just haven't bothered to lock my car. There's nothing of value in it, really, and I live right now in a sleepy little place with almost no crime.

However, in May my husband and I are moving to Charlotte, which is apparently like the car break-in capital of North Carolina, I literally can't find an apartment that lets us have our dog AND hasn't had 7-9 break-ins for autos in the last month. I have premium sound with a detachable faceplate and my poor car looks pretty awful right now, but at the same time I hardly want to come out to find what little I do have in the car gone. (I carry a small arsenal of tools with me to fix the darn bugger when it gives me issues.)

If my explanation is a fail, I can take a video of the whole event on Sunday (that will be sure to impress the neighbors!) so maybe someone can help me figure out how to get my alarm working properly or at least make it so I can lock the doors.

Thanks so much for any help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Yep, you need to either fix the Door Lock Control Module (DCM) or get another FOB; by pressing the unlock button three times on the FOB will turn the alarm off and allow you to drive it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
OP doesn't have a FOB.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
OP doesn't have a FOB.
I know, the OP needs one.

Here are Two Options...

1) ... if you want to lock your car you will need the FOB. Without it the problems that you are experiencing will grow more frequent.

2) ... without the FOB you will have to get the door lock control modules replaced; perhaps in both doors.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Luckily with a '98 there is no immobilizer so you can get a fob and be good to go. This guy sells 'em: sidewinderkey.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I tried to replicate the problem today with my video camera running and of course it let me lock and unlock the doors as well as start and shut off the car and open and shut doors with no problem like I was crazy. I will get a FOB though... my only question is I found the FOB on ebay, but it says there's a Hella version and a Calrion version and the only way to know if you have the right one is to look at your old remote? But my car didn't come with a fob so I don't know which one it had. I do have my manual, would that info be in there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts