NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am back once again with trying to get my 2.0 running and I have made a little headway but it seems not by much :(

After doing what seems like a lot (which doesn't honestly seem like too much) I am at a complete standstill and almost want to quit and sell the thing. Things done so far:

1. Replaced ECM
  2. Cleaned TB
  3. Replaced MAF
  4. Replaced Ignition Coil Pack
After replacing ECM and putting old TB back on (was getting a code about the throttle body needing to be realigned/low voltage), still getting it it seemed to idle a lot better but I was still getting a rough idle and stalling when applying accelerator. So after reading the forums for answers and coming up with nothing I decided to just look around and see if I could see anything out of the normal. Voila! I saw the CP had a crack in it. So I bought a brand new one from autozone and proceeded to change it.

After removing the old CP I saw that whoever owned it previously (I still blame them for everything wrong with this thing and being irresponsible) had either changed it with one that was super crappy or just beat the crap out of this thing because the post for cylinder one was missing a huge chunk from it! After replacing that a new code has appeared, p0102. So I cleaned the throttle body and the MAF and the idle seemed to straighten itself out but again pressing on the accelerator caused it to want to stall out but this time it started to backfire for like a minute and a half then quit. Left a nice little black patch on my driveway....

So after all the backfiring and my buddy fiddling with stuff we got the idle to rev past the point of wanting to stall and it sounded like it actually had some power to it but not enough to really justify it being drivable. Turns out it was doing fine without the MAF plugged in because he forgot to plug it back in :rolleyes: so I plugged it back in and it went back to wanting to stall out instantly so I bought a new MAF and replaced it. Now it is back to square one with the idle being weird and stalling when pressing on the gas, but this time it is now backfiring :(

I know this is long but I wanted to give as much detail as possible because I am so stumped that I almost want to give up but I want to drive my beetle so bad.

Specs:
1998 2.0 AEG/Auto
103k miles

Codes so far:
One about throttle body actuator realignment. p1542 I do believe I cant remember. and p0102. I don't have a code reader on hand to just get codes whenever I can only get it when my friend is helping me with the beetle.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if I left anything out I will try my best to let you guys know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
01102 is for the MAF sensor

16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Loss of Power

Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
Check/Replace Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)

Special Notes
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts