NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Weird issue with my beetle right now. The I/M readiness monitors will not reset back to okay or pass. I already drove the car 400 miles and still the catalytic monitor stays INC. which is incomplete and the check engine light is not ON. Previously it would only take about 150-180 miles drive cycle to clear those back to normal. Seems like the CPU is locked in a glitch loop or something. Has anybody seen that before?? I might have to reset the whole cpu and start new from scratch I just wondered if anybody seen this issue before??:confused:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow

Wow, 104 fellow new beetle folks read this help message and nobody has any input or support. :eek:

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Were you having any problems before this; did the car throw any particular trouble codes?

Have you done a hard reset by touching the negative and positive battery cables? I believe you can go through the guided readiness setting process by using vcds. Do you have vcds and have you tried the readiness setting process?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.html

If the converter is suspect; I believe you can run through a testing procedure in Vcds as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hard reset

Hey thanks for offering input, I did a hard reset and also a soft reset with the scan tool, drove 200+ miles consecutive...no luck. I have a vag-com but it's the cheapo from ebay and it's limited to what I can do. I was able to try a force readiness with the vag-com to where the end results would be xxxx100 but those values were jumping all over the place and never got good results. Confused.
I had no problems before but started after I lost the battery and also killed my abs module in the process. Do those two system correlate with each other? catalytic monitors and abs system? Do I need to fix my abs system first before trying the readiness test? The only DTC Codes I have are related to abs system and no check engine light.:confused:

Were you having any problems before this; did the car throw any particular trouble codes?

Have you done a hard reset by touching the negative and positive battery cables? I believe you can go through the guided readiness setting process by using vcds. Do you have vcds and have you tried the readiness setting process?

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Readiness

If the converter is suspect; I believe you can run through a testing procedure in Vcds as well.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I don't know if the two subsystems are related; you might consider upgrading to VCDS lite for $99 and that we give you more access to more of what the program offers.

Check this link to see the differences between VCDS lite and the normal software and cable version ($250-$350).

.http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

I consider VCDS pretty much required; if you are going to do repairs on your Volkswagen and especially if you start getting in-depth with programming, matching, testing, and doing the electrical side of things. When I bought VCDS it paid for itself the first time I used it and I have never regretted My purchase decision. Get it: you won't regret it! :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if the two subsystems are related; you might consider upgrading to VCDS late for $99 and that we give you more access to the features Vcds.

Check this link to see the differences between VCS light and the normal software and cable version

.Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

I consider Vcds pretty much required; if you are going to do repairs on your Volkswagen and especially if you start getting in-depth with programming. Matching, testing, and doing the electrical side of things. When I bought Vcds it paid for itself the first time I used it and I have never regretted My purchase decision. Get it: you won't regret it! :)

k, thanks let me regroup and tackle this pesky thingy..LOL

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I was able to force readiness on the Catalytic monitors with my vag-com and it came back; failed not OK. So Then I put 5 ounces of Seafoam through the throttle valve by the Manifold, then ran the car hard for two days and all is clear and Normal now. All I/M monitors are in the "OK" status....LIFE IS GOOD!! :banana:

a BIG thanks to Mr billymade he was very supportive on this.:bowdown:

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Wow! I guess we need to talk more about seafoam and hear what people's experiences have been! :) Were you in the process of taking your car in for a smog check? If that was the case did it pass?

Now, how about that ABS system failure? Post up those codes for the ABS system! Let's get this thing fixed!:)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
smog test

Yes Babyblue was up for the smog test and it passed with flying colors. They do both here in my county, the tailpipe and the OBDII test. ABS? yes it has the abs light on but drivable. Seems like the abs module's electronics has failed after i lost the battery this past December here are the codes from vag-com; 01276 abs hydraulic pump (64)
012-electrical fault in circuit

Did you say there was a recall on the abs? hhmm?? .................and thanks for your support.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01276

According to the above link; there are a lot of possibilities, since your a electronics tech, this will give you a chance to use your troubleshooting skills! :) hopefully it's something simple; like a wiring or harness issue. There probably are some output tests that you can run; using the VCDS; to help you troubleshoot the problem. If it ends up being the ABS control module; you might call your Volkswagen dealer with your Vin number and see if there is a recall on your particular car. Otherwise there are number of places that repair these modules for a reasonable price; usually just send it to them and they send your part back repaired (very common problem on the B5 Passat).

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abs

01276 - Ross-Tech Wiki

According to the above link; there are a lot of possibilities, since your a electronics tech, this will give you a chance to use your troubleshooting skills! :) hopefully it's something simple; like a wiring or harness issue. There probably are some output tests that you can run; using the VCDS; to help you troubleshoot the problem. If it ends up being the ABS control module; you might call your Volkswagen dealer with your Vin number and see if there is a recall on your particular car. Otherwise there are number of places that repair these modules for a reasonable price; usually just send it to them and they send your part back repaired (very common problem on the B5 Passat).
hey thanks, let me regroup on this and see what I can find. The hardest part is removing the pesky module from the car. If it's not under a recall i might end up getting one off a salvage yard and reprogramming or sending this one off to get repaired like you said. thanks man

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Here is a the vw tech bulletin on the recall; it may not apply to you but gives you some visual reference, on the controller/abs unit anyway (what it takes, to r/r the unit/module). This particular issue; doesn't seem to come up on the 2003 models but you could check the model # listed. A number of websites; do list the VW beetle/golf/jetta as being repairable.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM4851251/RCRIT-02V031-4028.PDF

More here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=02V031&docType=RCL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts