VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a 99 NB (GLS, 2.0 5sp man) for my daily driver/fun car. It's been great, a few minor problems this site has helped with, but I've got an issue I have'nt been able to get much info on.

I'm getting a fluid dripping from the lower driver side radiator. It doesn't appear to be coolant, as it's oily, but it is clear and not apparently not engine oil. I though maybe it's power steering fluid, since the resivoir is nearby, but I don't see any leaks from the hoses (that I can see). Fluid is in the actual radiator fins and is collecting on a flange/piece at the radiator. I leak about an half ounce after driving for 10 miles to or from work. What leaks out evaporates after a few hours.

I have minor issues shifting (getting it into the right gear while driving), I'm suspecting I may need to change tranny fluid or adjust linkage. I don't think its gear oil as it's odorless and clear. PS fluid isn't low, no problems with brake, clutch operates well, no grinding, shifts 1st to reverse and back quickly with clutch.

Does tranny oil or PS route through the bottom of the radiator for cooling?
Can I eliminate brake fluid as not routing near the area?

I appreciate any insight.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
I'm guessing that it is actually a coolant leak. Antifreeze solution actually feels a little oily, and doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly as pure water. My guess is that you have a small leak at the tank flange or the hose flange that only shows up when the system is under pressure, but not when the engine is cool and the cooling system has no pressure. I have an automatic, which has a cooler, but I've never seen any street vehicle with a cooler for a standard xmsn. Neither does the P/S fluid circulate through the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning towards the coolant. I thought it would be hotter. My PS fluid is not going down, but I've lost a small amount of coolant, checking it in the AM before driving it a few days in a row. I'm going to put a piece of paper w/ a rock under the drip area and try to get a better idea of the color. Your comment about the flange makes sense, it's in the general area. It's just so d**n hard to see anything under there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts