NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... when I bought my 2002 1.8T, about 3 weeks ago, there was a kind of gravel-y rattle-y buzz-y rhythmic noise coming from what seemed like the driver's side rear wheel...

We assumed it was the tire - certain treads can certainly be noisier than others, and the tires are hardly new...

Yesterday I was driving along and I started hearing the noise from BOTH sides in the rear... Hmphh!!

This noise definitely sounds like it's coming from the area of the rear tires... It only comes about when I'm going around 20 mph (read - parking lots, snowy streets, etc...

It's pretty loud and obnoxious... Stock wheels and tires, stock suspension, etc...

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
Wheel bearings? possible. anyway, all VWs are possessed ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem... On the left rear side... Only when you drive over bump or hole, right?

Maybe it has something to do with low temperatures, and water freezed somewhere?

If you will find the solution please let me know!

·
Spring
38 Posts
hmmm...

i discovered that the wierd noises were coming from my passanger rear side and i found out that the rear brake pad likes to stick and glue to the rotor and when i take the e-brake off that it makes a big popping noise. I can't get the thing to unstick and i am having issues with it to get it to stop. So that was my noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts