NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife mentioned today that she heard a strange whining sound when she was driving her 2000 Beetle today with window open and accelerating.

Just drove Beetle and I heard it too when window is open. It's kind of a whining, whirring sound when you are accelerating. When you take foot of pedal, sound goes away.....

Sound seems to adjust as you accelerate....

Sound isn't too loud, but you can hear it with window open...

Beetle has only about 58,500 miles on it....automatic....

Any ideas as to what sound might be?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Could be a few things, most easy fixes.

First is an air leak, since the plastic tubing tends to tear it gives a whistling sound when air is sucked through it, check your air lines for leaks, start with oil cooler line (goes from oil cap to air intake, brittle easy to tear) and then move to the air box line etc etc.

Second could be the accessory belt, if its going bad they can start to whine on you, check it out and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input and ideas!

Given the sound, I'd guess it could be a belt wearing...but will check things out as you suggest.....

:thup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might also be the hose from the air intake to the electric air pump. I;ve nocked this out while working on the engine and it produced a whirring noise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might also be the hose from the air intake to the electric air pump. I;ve nocked this out while working on the engine and it produced a whirring noise.
Thanks for your input, jmkma!

FWIW, I brought in Beetle to my friendly neighborhood VW shop this morning to get checked out....should know soon what's up with Beetle....stay tuned....

:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

Well, my wallet's quite a bit lighter, but the Beetle is running good now.....

- New Belts (timing, etc...)

- New Tensioners

- New Water Pump

- New Coolant Flange (shop noticed slight leak...)

Plus did an oil change too.....

Thanks again, guys for all your input!

:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, how much did all of that cost you?
$818 including 8.25% sales tax....considering this is for work in the SF Bay Area, I don't think price is too bad and would have been higher at VW dealer....

So, you'll need to figure how to correlate price to your area which I would think would be lower price....given the high costs of the Bay Area in general....

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I take it the sound is gone? I was hoping it would be a different solution, as your problem sounds identical to mine, but I just had my timing belt done a few months ago, along with the water pump and tensioners, so that can't be it, unless something is funky with the work, which I would have expected to have shown itself closer to when it was done.

You said "belts (timing, etc...)" what is the etc? Maybe one of those is what's making my sound.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I take it the sound is gone? I was hoping it would be a different solution, as your problem sounds identical to mine, but I just had my timing belt done a few months ago, along with the water pump and tensioners, so that can't be it, unless something is funky with the work, which I would have expected to have shown itself closer to when it was done.

You said "belts (timing, etc...)" what is the etc? Maybe one of those is what's making my sound.
There's at least one other belt; serpentine belt I think and maybe another one, can't remember for sure right now...so, that's what I was referring to all the belts...

And yes, sound is gone and all is good right now.... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's at least one other belt; serpentine belt I think and maybe another one, can't remember for sure right now...so, that's what I was referring to all the belts...

And yes, sound is gone and all is good right now.... :)
If you think of the other belt let me know, still trying to nail down the source of my sound...

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Serp belt is the only other belt.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent!

Allowing for the oil change, abt $85, sounds as if you did just fine. Cost is in line with what I have read others are paying elsewhere in the country to have this work done by an independent shop.

Whatever you do, hang onto the receipt, maybe a copy in the OM, as this will be important when you go to sell the Bug!

Happy Bugging!

MORAV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts