NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now believe that the coil was merely a sacrifice by this evil little car in it's grand scheme to drive me crazy. :eyecrazy:
The wire that was hot and slightly melted coming from the coil was in fact the ground wire.
For some reason when the car is runnig I can take a test lead and attach one end to the negative terminal and touch the other end anywhere on the engine that is metal and it will arc. If you hold it one spot for more than a few seconds it gets hot. I took the wire big black wire from the alt. and unhooked it fom the fuse box on top of the battery and started it back up. This time there was no arcing of the test lead.
Pulled alt and took it to 2 reputable test shops and they say there is nothing wrong with it.
Back home, cleaned all terminals and put alt back on. Started the car and at first there was no arcing but was not charging according to the volt meter hooked to the battery. turned on headlights and right back to energizing the entite engine.
Tomorrow I will try to pull the black wire out of the harness and run it totally free of any contact with the frame or engine.
Any help is greatly appreciated. This dumb car is on borrowed time with me.
I have better things to do than spend my weekends messing with it.
thanks.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That ground wire from the alternator to the fuse box on top of the battery is a well known issue with the Beetle's. It melts fuse boxes in an instant. You need to replace that wire with a heavier gauge and your problems may come to an end. At least until next time.
;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom, The big black wire from the alternater to the fuse box is not a ground wire. It runs from the output post on the alternater to power the fuse box and charge the battery. I still may replace it though. I have read some stories about this wire going bad and causing problems.
I believe I will also have the battery checked for a short. I really don't know what else it could be.
More opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After many hours of testing sensors and chasing little wires the car was no better.
This all seemed to happen after I removed/replaced the engine. I thought to my self, I know I put that stupid ground wire from the battery back on, because I remember cleaning it and coating it with the 30% copper antisieze. With no other options I decided to recheck it. There it was right where I put. All clean and everything. Wait a minute.....did that dumb thing just move? :rant2:
Appearently some knuckle head forgot to tighten it up.
Yep, it was me.
Tightened up the nut and all is right with the world........for now!
Just as grandad always told me. NEVER ASSUME!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts