NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to give my beetle a nice interior cleaning, when I pulled all the monster mats the rear of the car smelled musty but I didn't think anything of it. When I went to vaccine the car out in the rear the driver side rear floor is wet. It's wet more toward the center of the floor and all edges are dry. This areas had a mat over it and no one has sat in the rear of my car is forever. Where's the water coming from. We've had alot of rain lately in NY. I'll just shop vac it out and pray it stops for now.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? If so, I would start by clearing out your sunroof drains.

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
No. It is most likely the sunroof drain that is clogged. If you open the sunroof all the way, you will see the drain on the corner. If you can, run a long rigid cable (my ex used CAT-5)or some other thing, to clear it. Then, always make sure you close the sunroof when not in use. The wet floor is a common problem. :eek:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Might be the front cowl is clogged with debris??

To check and clean this correctly, you have to remove the wipers and the plastic cowl just below the windshield AND you have to pull the center of the dash and both front halves of the dash.

Remove the cabin filter AND also remove the same lower access panel on the drivers side like you remove to access the cabin filter and clear out all the leaves and debris under the front cowl.

If the cabin filter has never been replaced, good time to address this!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another rainy NY day and the water seems to be coming from the top of the rear door panels, underneath the back if the seat is a huge puddle, rear floor soaked, hatch is not wet today. I have an aftermarket spoiler so I revealed that yesterday thinking that was the problem. Sunroof wasn't open last night and I still have a huge mess. I will clean out the cowl and under the dash even though it was done last year, anymore insight is apreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have same problem. Am planning on doing drains on sunroof. Can't seem to find the thread that was here. It was a great tutorial about cleaning them out with weed eater line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and used the google and found a thread on the vortex to find the rear sunroof drains. Once you open the hatch at the top of the roof linking there is two little plastic caps that I popped off with a flat head to discover they were green with build up. So I scraped off the build up and then pokedy driver in the hole and out rushed alot of water, I then opened the sunroof and went back to the rear of the car and put a shop vac over the rear drains to suck out any lodged gunk and it put some water in the sunroof drains until flow came out the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts