NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
A.K.A PROJECT X
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys fixing the wife’s fuse box and Altenator lead wire, had one heat up on it so made a new Altenator wire and bought a new fuse box, but when I went to change over the fuse box I found the plug on the side One of the wire prongs apparently got hot too and now I either have to replace the plug or has anyone replace just the one of these wire? Anyhow this plug goes to the three fuses right, what would y’all do? I don’t really want to cut and slice a new plug in but if I have to I will and what’s this plug called? Thanks in advance ......

0EA5E2BE-A71D-498B-B0AF-4B04EDE4CF87.jpeg

01856D82-B718-4EFD-90D0-0131ECA03D04.jpeg

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
I've had to replace; a number of heat damaged and melted plugs, over the years on my new beetle. I went to the VW dealer and they were able to sell me repair wires with terminal ends, already crimped on them and new plugs I needed. Original electrical plugs will have a VW part #; imprinted on them, many times, using this part #, you can search online for a pigtail/plug combo for sale as repair kit. I have found these on amazon and ebay; other brands like Dorman or Standard Motor Products; many times sell these as well. The online, ones, tend to be lower quality Chinese sourced parts but may work fine. In my case, I wanted a good quality repair and so, bought the parts from my vw dealer. If replace the plug/terminal ends; be sure to use the latest, crimp butt connectors like those from 3M; that come with heat shrink tubing on the outside and sealing adhesive on the inside (most auto parts stores; sell these now a days and I got the 3M versions, from my local Walmart in the Automotive parts area).

3M™ Scotchlok™ Butt Connector, Heat Shrink Seamless

·
A.K.A PROJECT X
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks billymade, yeah I dug into it and found on that tab on three wire connector thats the cooling fan wire tab so I took the fans off and apart cleaned them out good, brushes looked good still and tested them to be safe, All seems fine with them so I put them back on. So I had already checked the output on the alternator seems good from what I’m reading on here so then I replaced the alternator wire making my own & using 4gauge (big brade copper wire 600v) and got a three wire vw piggy back connector coming to fix the plug as well, but now I’m thinking that fuse box and alternator wire short that cause my connector to melt on that fan tab was it also heat related? I’m now debating on something though the alternator/harness to a/c clutch wire i replaced is really close to the engine and the heat the way it’s routed from the factory, I’m wondering if I should reroute it closer to the front of the car (closer to the fans) away from the engine heat and I’m also thinking covering it with some sort of heat repel loom but idk I mean I’m not as smart as the ones that designed it but there seems to be a lot of issues with that Alternator wire going bad and causing chaos to everyone’s cars on here.....

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
108 Posts
A lot of times the ground points get overlooked in this. So you beef up the wire/connection thats showing the symptom with big beautiful copper, and another connector heats up down the line. The bad ground continues being a problem and current finds the next weakest link in the chain since the easiest path is one it wasn't intended for. Over time corrosion,wear, water ingress all work to kill off your ground connections and cables leading to what seems like strange places overheating. For us the weakpoint that almost always shows first is that upper fuse box, but just replacing it with a heavier one may only put stress on other parts if the grounds aren't also verified.

Search through the archives here and you should be able to find people that have posted the grounding points for your particular motor. Thats at least a start. Can also use a multimeter and test some of the wires for high resistance particularly if they heat up. A friend of mind has a neat heat camera that he looks in the engine bay for heated cables and connectors. It really speeds things along and isn't near as expensive as it used to be with cell phone FLIR and all that available nowadays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts