NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the N.B. require a "woman's touch?" The reason I ask is that my 5'0" wife has no trouble starting our '99. However, more often than not, when I maveuver my 6'3' carcass behind the wheel and turn the key, it does not start on the first try. Then, if it also fails on the 2nd try (which often it does with me), I have to wait a while before trying a 3rd and/or 4th time. My wife has no problem at all, first time, every time. She doesn't think I hold the key in the forward (start) position long enough, but I think I do and I don't wanna burn out the ignitition switch by overtaxing it. Of course, since it is fuel injected, neither of us touch the gas prior to starting the car. Any ideas as to why I might be having this problem, whereas the Mrs. doesn't? :confused:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
yup... happens to me once in a great while, but not because of the key....I have aftermarket carpet mats, and being so cheap, they have a tendancy of sliding up under my clutch pedal...so when I depress the clutch to start the car, the mat gets in the way, not allowing the clutch pedal past a certain point....hence I cant start the car...so, I pull the mat back, and then it starts....

if you turn the key on for a few seconds without starting, (let the engine prime) then turn it off, wait a sec or two, then turn it on again, wait 1 sec, then start....it should fire right over...

·
Registered
125 Posts
i usually turn the key to the on position then wait about 3 seconds - enough for fuel pumps to pressure up - then turn key. I do this with all of our fuel injected cars and have never had a problem with them starting.
you will not burn out the ignition switch by using it - only draws minimal current.

·
Registered
867 Posts
blutopless2 said:
i usually turn the key to the on position then wait about 3 seconds - enough for fuel pumps to pressure up - then turn key. I do this with all of our fuel injected cars and have never had a problem with them starting.
you will not burn out the ignition switch by using it - only draws minimal current.
On the NB & NBC the fuel pump runs as soon as you open the drivers door.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your wife may be right. Hold the key until it starts. Don't key off when you think it should have started. The suggestion to turn the key to the "run" position and allow the fuel pump to run for a moment is not a bad idea. Despite dealership comments to the contrary, the fuel pump does not run on any VW (gas or diesel) until the ignition key is turned to the on position.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
have you and your wife sat in the car at the same time and watched each other start it up? might give you some insight as to why it's working for her and not for you.

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
Some things to consider:

1) Have you had any of the service intervals done on the car? The issues you are having with the car not starting could conceivably relate to the car not being properly tuned up. You indicate that it is a 99... which means (I am guessing here) that it may have quite a few miles on it. If the car has never had the plugs replaced, had a fuel system service, etc. then I would not be surprised if sometimes it doesn't want to start.

2) Try running high octane fuel in the car periodically or better yet, try putting a good fuel system treatment in it pretty regularly. This may help keep the injectors clean and may also help keep the fuel system free of moisture and other contaminants.

As background, my 2.0 started doing the same thing, but replacing the plugs solved the issue for me without incident.

Have a blessed day :)

3)

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I've tried the suggestion of turning the key on and letting it "prime" a bit before trying to fire 'er up and it's been working, so I'm gonna keep on doin' it that way.
However, the above suggestion of maintenance (new plugs, injector cleaner, etc.) seems like a very good idea and certainly can't hurt, can only help, so I'm going to look into that, too! Many thanks to all who offered their suggestions...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts