VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with bag Com connecting to my car. It was not my system, but it was up to date, the full version, and had a genuine Ross Tech cable. Whenever we tried to access the ecm or ccm it would give a "too many communication errors to continue" error. I have a stock Volkswagen tape player and VCDS connected to the radio and locks. My generic scanner connects to my car and reads codes just fine. I have had my car at the dealership twice for an O2 sensor recall and they haven't been able to connect to my car either. I am certain that this is a wiring issue. I would like to know what the most common wiring issues are on the New Beetle and mk4 Golf+Jetta so that I can hopefully find my issue. I have checked all fuses and all are good. Please help! I'm so frustrated with this, I'm about to just get a new(to me) wiring harness and install it. I just want to know of common wiring issues, I've researched this and checked everything that was suggested on other forums for this issue. Thanks in advance!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If you are having communication issues, then how did VCDS connect to the stock tape player and door locks?

For what it is worth, VCDS has communication issues with the K-Line when a non-original head unit (aka Radio/Cassette Player) is installed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wouldn't connect to the engine control module, central electrics module, etc. The only ones that worked were locks an radio. Went I got the car it had a aftermarket radio in it but I got a used OEM radio at the junkyard. And when it did have the aftermarket radio I paid a mechanic to do a throttle body adaptation and he had no issues connecting VCDS, that was probably 2 years ago.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If you had an OEM Radio re-installed, did you reconnect the K-Line? Also the dealer would have to adapt/re-adapt the replacement radio for it to work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vcds was able to connect to the radio, so I don't think it's a problem with the K-line.
I just got the radio and code from the junkyard and put it in. I've had no issues

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
It sounds like your VCDS troubles started when you swapped the aftermarket radio for a factory one yes? I'm wondering if there is something strange in the wiring there or the radio that is interfering with connecting to the ECU. Maybe try pulling the radio and disconnect it to see if anything changes?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It hadn't been connected to vcds for about 7-8 months prior to me swapping the radio, and then it hadn't been connected for another 5-7 months after. I don't have VCDS myself, but when I want to scan it I have to drive 2 hours away. That's why I just wanna see the most common wiring issues so I can check them out before making the trip

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Seeing how much of a hassle; it is to keep driving two hours away to use VCDS. I would buy a cheap vw code reader; off of amazon.com for less than $50. Search under "vag scanner"; the basic VAS450 is pretty cheap and does reading, clearing of codes. If you spend more; you can get some that read live data and claim, to do some coding, advanced features. VCDS is nice to have but if you cannot afford it; a cheap vw code reader, can really be helpful in troubleshooting your car.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
That should help a lot, it's no where near the same as VCDS, but it should do what you need.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, got the scanner and connected it. It wouldn't connect to any VW specific module. I decided to try taking the radio out(a oem radio from a 2000 new Beetle) and then it connected perfectly. Any ideas as to why it is doing this? On Mother's Day I drove to go see a guy with VCDS and it connected to the radio module and lock module, nothing else. When I got the car it had an aftermarket Kenwood radio installed and I replaced it with a oem radio from the junkyard because I like the original look better. All the wiring looked normal, nothing out of the ordinary?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at the radio and this pin on the lower left side of the plugs is bent over touching the pin next to it. Is this normal? The black plug that go's to the radio has a a connector for that that plug(there's a spot for it to go). The pin that is bent is marked as "ALM" (I assume that is alarm?) And it is touching the K-line pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
No, that DOES NOT; look correct. From the picture and looking at a extra head unit I have in front of me, it looks like it is a bent and damaged connector. I would CAREFULLY, bend it back and straighten it. This could very well; fix your connectivity issue.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bent it back and now the car connects to almost everything! It doesn't connect to central electrics though, but I'm very happy with the progress, and this VAG405 tool is really nice to use! :)

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Does it give you a error message; about not being able to connect to the ccm? Sometimes, if there is a major problem in the central convenience bus; it will go into "single wire mode" and may not be able to communicate normally. It seems if there is a major component failure; it can stop the communication with the bus/computer (e.g. just like your radio).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The scanner just says "link error". And the problem is that I am unable to program the key fob to the car. I did the procedure correctly and I know the key fob & batteries are good, it just won't connect

1 - 20 of 20 Posts