NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the signs are and also, when replacing them. Should I replace the actual struts or can they wait? Also where are they located?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, they don't break I think, but they squish down over time from the weight of the car. The mounts are on the top of the front strut, to remove them you have to remove the strut (or try to do something on the car which may or may not work as good as advertised in some how-to).

So what you see up front is that your gap between the tire and the wheel arch is much smaller, as much or more than an inch over what it was when new.

Usually you end up replacing the entire strut by this point along with the mounts because the struts will be blown by this point no doubt.

If you clunk your way through bumps, then your struts, either front or back or both are likely buggered. If you smash through bumps, then you likely have a blown spring.

When everything is nice and tight on the Beetle, it should drive more like a sports car than a luxury car. Not as brutal over bumps but the car doesn't drown out the feel of the road and corners should be precise and predictable under normal dry pavement conditions.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Oh, and I saw your post about the Axle issue so I'm going to jump in here and warn you that you need special tools to do this job right. And it has to be done in the right way with quality parts.

I don't know if he has one for this, but D2Beetle usually has good how-to write ups to follow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts