VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I love my old vws but since my daughter keeps eyeing up my wife's 72 super beetle. So we found her a good running 1999 5 speed 2.0. It came a little beat up and like so many mising the front grill. So for Christmas I got her a new one with the fog light holes and instead of going factory lights she picked up some LEDs with halos. The main wiring was there for fog lights so super simple to wire up the center beams(once I showed her that the fog lights turn on with the head light switch and not the cruise control switch while I was sitting with my meter outside in the snow trying to figure out power and ground. :) Teens. She said what's cruise control. In here defence her first car was an 87 Montero. No cruise.). But there are two thin wires on the driver's side that seem to run with the ignition switch but don't put out 12volts. I was getting 10.5 . I thought nice she wants to run the halos as running lights anyway and maybe I just wasn't getting a good enough ground to show 12+volts. But I want to know what these are for. So I don't over tax something else or do something stupid like set off her airbags. I had an 02 euro van and know how they like to design things that make sense to someone just not usually me. Safe bet is that I just need to run a line to the fuse box. But I am just so curious to what they are there for.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I would think, a good wiring diagram; would be a good place to start. The vw factory manuals; have their type “track” style drawings, which can be a bit confusing to read. The Haynes and Chilton manuals; online services, like Mitchell1 and AllData, have simplified wiring diagrams and even interactive highlighting, etc., which maybe easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Here are some free online accessable vw service manuals:

Free downloadable VW eRWin manuals in .pdf.

Haynes and Chilton paper manuals; are available at most auto parts stores or you can purchase online access, then alldata and mitchell1 offer consumer level access to one specific car as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some free online accessable vw service manuals:

Free downloadable VW eRWin manuals in .pdf.

Haynes and Chilton paper manuals; are available at most auto parts stores or you can purchase online access, then alldata and mitchell1 offer consumer level access to one specific car as well.

Thanks. I have tried googling wiring diagrams and found nothing but basic that doesn't show the wires and good ones of the switch and relay side of things. Yes I have the Hayes book for the car and it doesn't go indepth with wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am interested in exactly what you are doing for my daughters NBC. I too was looking at fog lights with Halos on Ebay. These in-particular....

I was thinking I'd need to buy a relay just for the halos or just run them together with the main fogs. I want to do something since this car's headlights are considerably dim at night compared to our other cars.

T1

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Google alone, is typically not good enough; to find, drill down, into the unique diagrams you need and specific type, to your year, model, New Beetle

AllData or Mitchell1; maybe helpful with simplified and manipulatable active features. Neither of these site,; organize the service data; in a particularly user friendly way but maybe the better, easier to understand, their re-drawn diagrams.

The VW eRWin and Bentley manuals; do have their track style wiring diagrams, it is just a matter of finding what you need.

The links i gave you has them; just a matter of digging into the sites and viewing or downloading the files related to your specific vehicle, otherwise trying out Mitchell1 or AllData online access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am interested in exactly what you are doing for my daughters NBC. I too was looking at fog lights with Halos on Ebay. These in-particular....

I was thinking I'd need to buy a relay just for the halos or just run them together with the main fogs. I want to do something since this car's headlights are considerably dim at night compared to our other cars.

T1
I would suggest either cleaning the headlights or buying projection replacements. My daughters has those and they are quite bright. My trucks plastic covers had been foggy and dim for years and one day I took some sandpaper spent some time taking the surface layer off and then polished them (I used flitz) the difference was huge. The fog lights on my daughters car are bright but it only lights up the ground about 15 feet Infront of the car. There more for looks then function.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest either cleaning the headlights or buying projection replacements. My daughters has those and they are quite bright. My trucks plastic covers had been foggy and dim for years and one day I took some sandpaper spent some time taking the surface layer off and then polished them (I used flitz) the difference was huge. The fog lights on my daughters car are bright but it only lights up the ground about 15 feet Infront of the car. There more for looks then function.
Thank You. I did clean the NBC headlight assembly with one of those sanding kits. They look good but still somewhat dim. My frame of reference are cars that are a mix of old and new. Our oldest car, a 2000 Nissan has aftermarket 'Amazon' LEDs in a similar housing. They went from adequate to great and they don't hurt oncoming drivers.

I posted here asking for a recommendation of LEDs to replace the Low Beams; that thread got no response yet. Do you have a suggestion?

Also, for the Ebay fogs did you hook them up to the factory wiring?

I'd still consider the Ebay fogs just for 15 feet. There is a 2 mile dark-at-night section of a road my daughter will eventually have to travel. Even the 15 feet down low will help, especially if they flare the light out to the sides a little.

Thanks again

T1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts