NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.9L TDI and am thinking about getting a jet ski. I was wondering if anyone knew if my beetle would be able to tow one? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Should be able to... yes.
The degree to how well it could tow a jetski would depend greatly on the size/weight of the jetski, number of miles you're looking to tow it, and the grade of diesel you're throwin' in your NB.

The real trick is actually going to be how you hook up a tow bar. There are one or two that I like (like the hidden hitches), but they all seem to ride quite low... and have the potential to bottom out pretty regularly. I wish there was one that mounted up higher... even if it meant that I had to cut a hole in the bumper cover, I'd still be all over it. There are speedbumps in my neighborhood the size of small mountains, and I just can't afford to lose the clearance I have now.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
vw*meg said:
I have a 1.9L TDI and am thinking about getting a jet ski. I was wondering if anyone knew if my beetle would be able to tow one? Thanks!
I've had about 1600 lbs. on this one, and it does slow you down a bit, but it pulls extremely well. You do have to allow for the load when braking, of course, as the trailer has no brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing to keep in mind also is how steep the ramps are where you plan to take the jetski. My brother used to haul his waverunner behind a Honda Accord but eventually got an Explorer because of the ramps.

TDI4ever

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
TDI4ever said:
One thing to keep in mind also is how steep the ramps are where you plan to take the jetski. My brother used to haul his waverunner behind a Honda Accord but eventually got an Explorer because of the ramps.
TDI4ever
Very true - ground clearance isn't a stock NB's forte, and a hitch makes it worse. Oso is a little taller than most others, though, and I have yet to scrape on ramps after his 'surgery'. The skid plate ocasionally, but not nose or tail.

I'll be hauling a load of furniture to Austin on Sunday for our daughter - it's always interesting the looks one gets pulling a decently loaded trailer with a NB!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha oh I'm sure people get confused and/or surprised when they see a bettle towing a trailer!! I'll keep the ramps in mind, thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
mgwerks said:
I'll be hauling a load of furniture to Austin on Sunday for our daughter - it's always interesting the looks one gets pulling a decently loaded trailer with a NB!
I remember when Newbeetle.Org first started someone posted a picture of them pulling an aircooled bug to a car show with their TDI beetle. Colors of the cars were fairly close too!

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Dave said:
Any chance of getting some close up pics of your towing rig mgwerks?

-dave
Sure. What do you specifically want?

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
Tows great! I've tow'd about 2200 pounds... To counter the tounge weight I added a package from AirLift into the rear springs, It can actually LIFT the rear car up an inch or more!

Etrailer.com is a GREAT resource. I chose to use the Draw-Tite solution, It has more link points to the car... Wish I could find a class 2 hitch though

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
My towing experience is not with the NB, but in order to tow with a normal low clearance vehicle you want:

1) a long trailer, or some way to separate a bit more the car and the jetski as you back up into the water. If you find a steep ramp, then this is a non issue.
2) new heavy duty struts/shocks in the back which you can pump up a bit with air.

The HD air struts will also protect your rear suspension in general.

In the future...., I myself would like to tow a Hobbie 16 or a set of kayaks....

:)

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
jsw5620 said:
There is a company in the UK that makes a nice hitch. It is made by Bosal.
But unless you want to spend 500 bucks you may want to save your $$$ and get a standard US hitch. hidden or drawtite. I like the drawtite for the beetle over the hiddenhitch.

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
wawalker said:
I don't have a TDI, but I would think the low-end torque would make it the superior NB engine for towing.:)
my TDI is a champ at towing.

wawalker said:
I can't recommend towing over 1000 lbs. total trailer and cargo--if you have to perform an emergency manuever the trailer WILL take over the rear of your car. I did some experimentation in a parking lot with my Lawn Tractor tied down to the trailer and in a swerve to avoid something coming into your lane(kid, car going through a stop sign, etc.) and then turning back into your lane to avoid potential oncoming traffic the rear end of my '98 was pulled (SLID) back into line w/ the trailer on the turning back in manuever. This was with a total trailer/cargo weight of just over 800 lbs.
in europe the cars are rated to tow up to their gross vehicle weight. If the trailer was pulling the car around that much you did not have enough tounge weight. Tounge weight is VERY important. ALWAYS have a minimum of 10%. With an 800 pound load, you could easily do a 20% tounge weight.

wawalker said:
You must keep this in mind and drive very defensively when towing a trailer.
Good advice. When towing a trailer, become friends with the right lane whenever possible.

wawalker said:
I also think that it is ridiculous to rate a hitch as "Class II" for a NB
To get a class II hitch in North America you'd have to have one custom built, or imported from europe. I've thought about it, but decided that a Class I is all I really need, and the draw-tite offering is designed well enough to be more like a Class 1.5. saying that, Tow what you're comfortable with.

wawalker said:
the brakes are completely inadequate for this. If you must pull over 1000 lbs. please get trailer with pendulum brakes at least.:)
again, not necessary. I've towed 2200 pounds, yes, I drove VERY conservatively and this was on a 300 mile trip from medford oregon to portland oregon (mountain passes) given proper stopping distance and all, the brakes work just fine. Weather you have the smaller brakes offered in the TDI's or 2.0's, or the larger brakes offered in the 1.8t's the brakes and the associated braking system are better then anything else in this class of vehicle. More specificly, if you can produce enough clamping force on the brakes to lock up the wheels (or activate the ABS) you've reached the limit of the tires friction, not the brakes ability to do it's job.

Sorry for tearing your response apart. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your contribution to the thread is valuable.

·
2,646 Posts
JetPuf said:
my TDI is a chanp at towing.

in europe the cars are rated to tow up to their gross vehicle weight. If the trailer was pulling the car around that much you did not have enough tounge weight. Tounge weight is VERY important. ALWAYS have a minimum of 10%. With an 800 pound load, you could easily do a 20% tounge weight.
[/B]

Well, my hitch specifies a max of 100 lbs. of tongue weight--so when the load is beyond 500 lbs. you can't get 20% anymore. I challenge you to try a real avoidance manuever if you don't think I'm right--do it with and w/o a trailer--the difference is significant.

Good advice. When towing a trailer, become friends with the right lane whenever possible.

To get a class II hitch in North America you'd have to have one custom built, or imported from europe. I've thought about it, but decided that a Class I is all I really need, and the draw-tite offering is designed well enough to be more like a Class 1.5. saying that, Tow what you're comfortable with.

again, not necessary. I've towed 2200 pounds, yes, I drove VERY conservatively and this was on a 300 mile trip from medford oregon to portland oregon (mountain passes) given proper stopping distance and all, the brakes work just fine. Weather you have the smaller brakes offered in the TDI's or 2.0's, or the larger brakes offered in the 1.8t's the brakes and the associated braking system are better then anything else in this class of vehicle. More specificly, if you can produce enough clamping force on the brakes to lock up the wheels (or activate the ABS) you've reached the limit of the tires friction, not the brakes ability to do it's job.

Sorry for tearing your response apart. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your contribution to the thread is valuable.

No problem, no apology necessary. We disagree is all. I frankly think pulling 2200 lbs. w/ a compact car even on level ground is completely irresponsible--especially w/o trailer brakes or upgraded vehicle brakes and suspension. Maybe I'm just overly cautious.

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
wawalker said:
[/B]

Well, my hitch specifies a max of 100 lbs. of tongue weight--so when the load is beyond 500 lbs. you can't get 20% anymore. I challenge you to try a real avoidance manuever if you don't think I'm right--do it with and w/o a trailer--the difference is significant.
Where'd you get a hitch with only a 100 pound tounge weight? hidden hitch and draw tite both are class 1, and have a 200 pound tounge weight.

·
2,646 Posts
JetPuf said:
Where'd you get a hitch with only a 100 pound tounge weight? hidden hitch and draw tite both are class 1, and have a 200 pound tounge weight.
The old style hidden hitch square tube (called "Shadow Mount") with the flat bar receiver, not square tube receiver, specifies 100 lbs.

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
wawalker said:
The old style hidden hitch square tube (called "Shadow Mount") with the flat bar receiver, not square tube receiver, specifies 100 lbs.
I think I read somewhere plans to make that hitch out of tinfoil wrapped real tight. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts