VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on Amazon.com, there are lots of code readers/writers. I am picking up a Turbo S this weekend and want to do a scan for messages (and also to scan for future issues so I can fix them).

The question is which one? I have seen this for about $40. http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Scanne...292018&sr=8-1&keywords=new+beetle+code+reader
Which should work. But then I also see other ones that will interface with phones for more data output. Can I get real time data from these?

Which type would you recommend? I want to buy and have ready for this weekend! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you are wanting a specific hand held vw scan tool, in the $40-$60 range; I recommend, you step up to the VAG 401, which adds live data and many other, more in depth capabilities. The VAG 405; is only a code reader and doesn't have live data capability.

If you want generic OBD II access on your portable device; ios "wifi"/android "bluetooth", I would get a ELM327 and download a OBD II app. That would be in the $20-$30 range but would not have the vw specific capability, I would actually, recommend both a vw specific tool and the wireless obd II adapter/app, for everyday flexibility/ease of use .

Otherwise, there is the high end factory level scan tool; which would be the Ross Tech VCDS ($250-$350 range), which requires the use of a windows based pc to run. Ross-Tech: Home

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I recommend EVERYONE start with an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface. This is where you start. If the SES/CEL/MIL is on, these tools will read the codes. The beauty and power of these tools is the Logging capability as well as the low cost interface that can be left in the car.

FYI, there is not just "one" tool that will do everything you want or need. The problem with VCDS is you have to have a laptop in the car and have your laptop with you. Much easier and faster to have a wireless interface that is $20 or less and there are no wires, no battery or power problems and no large laptop to attempt to balance on your lap or seat. If you need a tool like this, you should buy this after you invest the $30 or less in a smart phone/tablet app.

Read this thread - http://newbeetle.org/forums/question...e-options.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone. I decided to get a smart phone integrated device. I have ordered the automatic https://www.automatic.com. It costs more, but seems a bit more polished and has some nice features behind just engine diagnostics (but still allows disabling warnings if I fix it myself).

I actually have something similar provided by my insurance company, it is a bit more advanced in that it is connected to the cellular data networks and allows features such as gps tracking, if stolen and monthly emails telling me how my driving is going.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, when you get it; be sure to let us know, how it works out for you. I looked at that; when I was first looking for a adapter, @ $99 price point... I figured I would give the $10-$20 ELM327 a shot first. You definitely are paying for the extended cloud based services it provides; which could definitely be beneficial to you, depending on what your needs are.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I may be wrong, but a lot of the Apps that have the glossy marketing hype TOTALLY miss the boat on what is good about the smart phone/tablet Apps.

People do not listen to me, but I use the Logging function of these $5-$10 Apps ALL THE TIME. They even trump my Snap On and Autel Pro tools that can cost close to $5k.

I cannot really tell what Automatic really does, but I saw things correctly, you WANT the OBDFusion App, forget the Dash Command App.

Learn how to Log, if you have questions, search my user name for post the last few weeks I have provided some info to other members here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may be wrong, but a lot of the Apps that have the glossy marketing hype TOTALLY miss the boat on what is good about the smart phone/tablet Apps.

People do not listen to me, but I use the Logging function of these $5-$10 Apps ALL THE TIME. They even trump my Snap On and Autel Pro tools that can cost close to $5k.

I cannot really tell what Automatic really does, but I saw things correctly, you WANT the OBDFusion App, forget the Dash Command App.

Learn how to Log, if you have questions, search my user name for post the last few weeks I have provided some info to other members here.
Thanks very much, I have been looking at the different apps and devices and I have seen some YouTube videos that went into some of the information you can capture using the logging functions and it certainly looks very powerful. So I will search for your posts.

This device says it works with other apps, which was what really sold it for me, so I am not tied into the single app, but still get some useful "real world" features beyond simple (or not so simple), diagnostics.

This is meant to pull information from a database of car repairs to match the engine codes of your model car so that it should give immediate information about what the issue could be and how to resolve it without having to go off and Google search to reference the code for that info. How well that works? I don't know, but this is a gen. 2 model so hopefully pretty refined. When I receive it tomorrow, I can start testing it out and see if that works well.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately there is no magic in any of the OBDII tools/Apps.

You still need to be a pretty experienced person to understand what is going on and do some more basic testing and troubleshooting to figure out what is going on.

No such thing as bypassing rolling up you sleeves and getting dirty. Also beware of anyone that has the typical answer replace the MAF or O2 sensors, these sensors are actually rarely the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts