NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help. What could be causing shake when turning right? brakes, transmission, axle?

Please help! Any advice greatly appreciated! My car (2001 1.8) has been in the shop for almost a month now. Was driving and it kept popping out of 5th so sent it in for new transmission and also knew I needed brakes. when the transmission was replaced the car shook. They got another transmission, same problem. Took it in for diagnostics and showed an axle needed to be replaced too. I love this car, but it seems it's one thing after another. I know I can trust the mechanics. It's at my stepdad's shop - he and two other mechanics have been trying to figure it out and aren't sure why it's shaking now when turning right.

In the past year since I've bought it the timing belt, water pump, alternator, flashers(turn signals), plugs, wires, and now transmission and brakes have been replaced. Probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment. Any suggestions?

·
ya I drive a bug, DEAL
94 Posts
I feel you on this one, i bought my bug for $3400, and ive had to put about the equivalent into it with PARTS cost. I do all the labor myself.

About the shake.. does it seem like your running over a rumble strip almost? does it only happen when making a hard right?

Your CV/axle/spindle on the drivers side is shorter than the one on the passenger's side due to your car's transmission placement. This causes more stress on the CV, and they tend to go bad on our cars, ESPECIALLY if you have lowered your car. Your drivers side CV is my best guess.
hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll give them a call and see if they've looked at that too. I haven't actually drove it - my dad has and knew how it drove before I bought it. Luckily they had not sold my mom's older mercedes and I've borrowed that but I really really miss my beetle and hope this is the last repair for a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They replaced the cv axles. picked up today...praying nothing else needs to be repaired for a long time - I'm broke. :( But I sure am happy to be driving her again!

Thanks to all for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts