NewBeetle.org Forums banner

2321 - 2340 of 2377 Posts

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
Good job for bark beetle!
Replaced my torn grey shift boot / shift knob with a black leather chinese aftermarket off of eBay for like $20. The new one's internals were slightly misaligned but I got it to sit straight while crimping the retaining clip. Fit right on otherwise, looks great, differs from stock a little by the shift pattern on top being bolder. 20 minutes start to finish, yay. Heading over to interior / electronics forum now to see if someone's got a good solution for mounting a cell phone and GPS.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Been pretty slow, as of late.....

Ive been tinkering with a front tow setup.
Saw one, on a white beetle, and, thought Id give it a try.
Bought an inexpensive......read, made in china.......one. shock. The size and thread pitch for inserting it into the bumper, wasnt even close, so I cut down my oem one, ground it down, tapped/threaded it, and, I have a start on it.
Waiting now, for both a replacement oem tow hook, *(just in case), and, an oem plug for bumper, so I can drill a hole in it, to fill most of the gap, around the tow hook.
What color should I paint it? Black, or silver? *(the hole plug/surround)?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Getting prepared for road trip

Leaving this coming Friday, for a road trip down to Missouri, to visit HER brother and wife.

Im going to take the beetle.
So, today, I changed oil and filter, cleaned the engine again.
Cleaned interior, and loaded some essentials. (octane booster/cleaning supplies/Snow juice.

Also, in the mail, today, arrived the butt plug for front fender. So, I quickly test fit it, measured for a hole. Drilled aforementioned hole, sanded down/painted black. And, mounted the whole setup. Pics.

Also, my carbon fiber mirror covers/tops arrived today. 3rd time is a charm. THESE fit.
Like last time, I broke the p/s side mirror trying to remove it. Well, that side came off/went on, no prob. D/s side broke this time. Got one ordered. hopefully it arrives before I leave Friday. UGH.

Pics of them as well.

Going to leave the TUNE on the 100+ octane switch. Should be a fun 9 hours road time. LOL.

Attachments

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
I pulled apart my dash trying to resolve a leak entering behind the p/s kick panel. I tightened the side marker which previous owner left loose then pulled the cabin filter housing and cleaned out all the aftermarket leaves n pine needles. Sprayed the car down afterwards and realized I also have 2 spots leaking on the top edge of the windshield. Scored some permatech windshield silicone and tried to shore that up too. It's garaged these days so I didnt realize the issues earlier.

·
Black Velvet
1,028 Posts
Here are my ecs LED license lights I had them installed recently but haven't shown you some pics. So here they are

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Technically got these on Friday, but ... new (summer) shoes! Hankook Ventus Evo 12s in the stock 205-55/16 size, on (summer!) Le Castallet rims.

·
Black Velvet
1,028 Posts
Last night I was at the gym and took my beetle out for some shots of the rear LED license plate lights for the first time at night and I was impressed on how it looks huge difference. Next weekend I will finally get my taillights smoked, so I can't wait !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a couple brand new tires. A new wind suppressor and installed it today. Such an amazing difference in wind in the cabin with this thing. I can’t use the standard wind screen in my 03 NB convertible since there’s no mounting holes in the frame for it. Ordered this one custom made.

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
My power mirrors work again! I've been living with them being malpositioned since I bought it 3 years ago (tried a couple fixes but had bigger issues that put this nuisance on my backburner.) Previous owner had replaced the switch with the wrong part #. Found the correct # at vwpartsonline. Swapped in a new aftermarket switch. Fixed!!!!

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
Thank you.
While my door panel is out, I'm starting a refinish on my armrest insert section(s), ds first. I had redone the whole panels black (- the color strip up top) with textured black spray paint which came out great, but did the armrest card in black spray "dip", which came out poorly. I found an eBay seller and ordered stitched vinyl coverings but today was trying to remove the dip. Not fun lol. After reading up on failed recovering attempts I looked up a local auto upholstery shop and will ask them to adhere the new vinyl once both cards are prepped. Also considering repainting the stock color coded portion, they're bubbling somehow. : /

·
Black Velvet
1,028 Posts
I got her all waxed up!!!

Got up this morning and gave my beetle a annual wax before I head out to h20 negative car meet out in Signal Hill. She's good and ready!!!:)

Attachments

·
Black Velvet
1,028 Posts
Hanged out at the h20 negative car meet out in Signal Hill and enjoyed a beautiful sunset and some VW's:)

Attachments

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
99 Posts
Paint's looking great! And I've been considering the black on white gauge face mod. Nice.
Meanwhile, I got my ps door panel off and the armrest portion disconnected. Took them to a local upholstered who works mostly on classic muscle cars who seemed like he couldn't be bothered but would cover them with supplied material for 100 but wouldn't promise it'd work. Dude was kinda jerky about the whole thing so I'm gonna buy some adhesive today and take pride in doing my own work for cost of materials (again). The car turns 20 this year and 9 out of 10 it seems like finding anyone who will do anything on it with care and attention to detail is a lost cause. Im only a fairly decent home mechanic but I'll put my work up against "the professionals" most times. Sad to not be able to find decent craftspeople who give a **** and take pride in a job.
I only need to drive once a week or so, so I'm taking it out for a good long drive today for some bonding : )

2321 - 2340 of 2377 Posts