NewBeetle.org Forums banner

2341 - 2354 of 2354 Posts

·
Black Velvet
995 Posts
Paint's looking great! And I've been considering the black on white gauge face mod. Nice.
Meanwhile, I got my ps door panel off and the armrest portion disconnected. Took them to a local upholstered who works mostly on classic muscle cars who seemed like he couldn't be bothered but would cover them with supplied material for 100 but wouldn't promise it'd work. Dude was kinda jerky about the whole thing so I'm gonna buy some adhesive today and take pride in doing my own work for cost of materials (again). The car turns 20 this year and 9 out of 10 it seems like finding anyone who will do anything on it with care and attention to detail is a lost cause. Im only a fairly decent home mechanic but I'll put my work up against "the professionals" most times. Sad to not be able to find decent craftspeople who give a **** and take pride in a job.
I only need to drive once a week or so, so I'm taking it out for a good long drive today for some bonding : )
Cool man hopefully everything goes well with that. I will eventually switch my stock interior and do the two-tone look with black leather red suede inserts and some double red stitching.

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
95 Posts
Finished my armrest redo. Has some bubbling but i did my best. Bought vinyl pieces from eBay, weren't as "formed" as I hoped they'd be. 3m headliner n fabric spray adhesive. If I were doing it again i'd use gorilla glue via brush and do it in sections. Or maybe truck bed liner. Textured black krylon on the rest of it, did that last year. Installed my new ds window and mirror switches finally. Oh, replaced the armrest retention tabs with wire strap hanger from Lowe's since most of the plastic tabs were lunched. Big project, glad it's back together. Stopped to get gas one day and forgot I hadn't temp attached the gas hatch release button lol.

Attachments

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
95 Posts
This morning I learned how to use vcds to change the soft code of my instrument cluster so that the speedometer now reads closer to accurate. This issue has annoyed me since 2003, so I'm extremely pleased.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
After 45 minutes of finessing with my largest maul and a 80 lb sack of gravel to attenuate the sound enough for earplugs to be effective, successfully un-inverted the skid plate. Put on some Wolfsburg Tuning door handles, fresh oil and filter, new Bosch purge valve. Got some air on a logging road 😄

·
Black Velvet
995 Posts
Went to a car meet out in Signal Hill and hang out with other VW'S. Great way to spend your weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Installed the turbo muffler delete kit by spulen.
Very well put together kit. Very high quality parts.
HUGE pita getting the solenoid/bracket out/removed/relocated tho.
Luckily I've done a little bit of automotive work before, and was able to 'get it done'.
No power increase, BUT............the turbo spools/makes MORE aggressively useable power EARLIER.

Feels a lot more powerful, but it just comes on, gobs earlier.

I highly recommend this mod.

Now I think I"ll go out and burn off some more tire...........:>)

Did you get any codes? I was wanting to do it for my 1.8t but was worrying about a code.

·
Black Velvet
995 Posts
Participated in Toy Jam 18 with some cool VW's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is currently disabled. I replaced the battery, checked the starter, checked the alternator, all her fuses. Everything is working. When I go to start it all my lights work and my ac, my radio, everything electronically works but my engine wont crank or start. I need help like ASAP.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Any trouble codes; don't overlook the basics, do you have spark and fuel pressure? You might want ti start a new thread in the appropriate troubleshooting or engine forums.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Added a new hood liner to my 2001 2.0 8v which was not equipped with one originally. A slight reduction in mechanical noise has been observed, mainly in higher frequency sounds (taps, clicks, smog pump whirr, etc). It looks nicer than my irregular rectangle of foil lined sound deadening sheet. My hope is that it will passively help during the first warmup of the day happen a little quicker.

2341 - 2354 of 2354 Posts