NewBeetle.org Forums banner

2361 - 2380 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
16 yrs old must have been popular age to own one. Mine was a hand-me-down standard karmann ghia from my dad and I think it was from the same year as yours. That is when I fell in love too. Took me 40 yrs to get another VW but memories came flooding back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yesterday I detailed it inside and out. Then woke up to a white car with a yellow pear in it. Dusted that off and noticed that there were little clear spots all over it. Had to go get some groceries and on the way back. She stopped running and left me on the road in afternoon traffic. As I set up back by the trees in the shade. I keep gritting my teeth Everytime I heard a horn. It's not like it's hard to see. You have plenty of time to get over. But they wait until the very last minute and then try to move over. I really thought that she was gone when I heard this 18 wheeler shut it down because no one would let him over. I couldn't look. Lol. So now she's in the garage all shinny and pretty sitting there until I figure out what happened and what it's going to cost to fix her. 2015 1.8t. 56k miles on it.

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
22 Posts
Yesterday I detailed it inside and out. Then woke up to a white car with a yellow pear in it. Dusted that off and noticed that there were little clear spots all over it. Had to go get some groceries and on the way back. She stopped running and left me on the road in afternoon traffic. As I set up back by the trees in the shade. I keep gritting my teeth Everytime I heard a horn. It's not like it's hard to see. You have plenty of time to get over. But they wait until the very last minute and then try to move over. I really thought that she was gone when I heard this 18 wheeler shut it down because no one would let him over. I couldn't look. Lol. So now she's in the garage all shinny and pretty sitting there until I figure out what happened and what it's going to cost to fix her. 2015 1.8t. 56k miles on it.
I hope its something very minor. They can really test us sometimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any update on what's wrong?

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
22 Posts
Replaced the interior door handle on my drivers door. I had previously used the Wolfsburg Tuning one on the passenger side but was never really happy with the look until I found this one on ebay. I am really happy with the finish.

Before:
Handle before.jpg

During:
handle during.jpg

Finished:
handle after.jpg

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I installed the same handle supplied by MotoKing; very solid and being metal, the last time you will have that problem. My handle had broken at the top, i reinforced it with cut coat hanger wire, applied plastic epoxy and then installed the new metal handle. Absolutely solid and no movement; i think it is easier solution, the stock handle remains and overall, looks better, is more comfortable ti grab, as well.

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
22 Posts
As to your armrest covering coming undone; check out the solution, from Coverlay.

Thanks!! They look fabulous! They do not come up when I search ebay from Australia but I can see them in that link - the postage to here is outrageous though - they are US$201 + US$112 postage and then there would be import duty tax on top of 10% - the Aus$ has gone way way down at the moment. We were planning on coming over in December and having Xmas in the US but we have held off with the current events. I also have a friend who goes over regularly and buys muscle cars and sends them back to Aus to sell here - I want a set of those daisy wheels in my avatar and I was going to buy them and get them sent back with her in one of her containers. The way the financial market is, I can't see her importing any cars soon.

If we do come over in December, I would buy a set for my beetle and a set for my mum's beetle.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Ugh, global financial issues, exchange, shipping rates and duties, can get expensive! Re-gluing the material back on with a appropriate contact cement; is a simple option, (if the stock material is in bad shape),there are lots of new replacement already sewn together leather or vinyl coverings for not much on ebay, specific to the new beetle. Having a local upholstery shop; handle things, is a hassle free option as well.

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
22 Posts
Thanks. That one is an attempt at regluing a replacement leather cover - it hasn't worked that well. Totally my fault though - I didn't remove enough of the original glue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's fixed now ?. Here's the thread with all the information and conversations on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope its something very minor. They can really test us sometimes.

This is the thread about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I got it fixed ?. But since it sits outside, poor baby, it had gotten bad water spots all over it on the paint and windows ? now it's in the garage because my wife rocks and got it cleared out on one side. ?? So for the last 4 days I've been cleaning. Inside is great. Hood and driver front finder and bumper cover have all been buffed out. It took buffing the hood 3x to get them out. There are still one or two spots. But you have to look at it from different angles ? but I wanted to leave some paint on it. Lol. Here's how she looks so far. I'll update when I get the water spots off the windows, hopefully they're not ruined.

KIMG0312.JPG
KIMG0313.JPG
on
KIMG0314.JPG
KIMG0103.JPG
KIMG0102.JPG
KIMG0101.JPG

·
Registered
134 Posts
Water spots are off ? some elbow grease. I used Meguiar's water spot remover. Just a small part at a time.
Yesterday I had the 60k service done. It's at 55k but it was time being I missed the 50k service. She runs much better now. ❤? The old plugs didn't look to bad. But man what a difference.

·
Black Velvet
1,039 Posts
Today I went out for a morning run and took the Beetle out for the first time since before the start of the pandemic. For the record I haven't cleaned my beetle in almost two months. :) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Today I installed new plugs, plug wires, and ignition coil, to fix a "misfire in damp weather" problem and resulting check engine light. Also replaced the wiper blades. Can you tell which cylinder had the misfire? LOL

2361 - 2380 of 2380 Posts