NewBeetle.org Forums banner

2421 - 2440 of 2441 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
First rain in So. Cal and the rear seats were wet from the clogged sunroof drains. Just spent some time clearing them. All nice and spotless and draining well now.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Swapped out my naughty shift knob, for a more user friendly version. Lol...
Maybe by friday my UK version outside mirrors might arrive.
Super excited.
Plus I ordered an upper strut brace for the bug.
Wheels might be back from powdercoater by end of next week too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
Ended up crippling my Beetle tonight. Needed to change a glow plug and the threads in the head are messed up. From the looks of the glow plug that came out, the previous owner had issues installing it.

Now I'm ordering a back tap and keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Finally got my sequential turn signal on mirrors together.
US style mirrors will not work. Wiring is diff. Can it be modified TO work? Dunno. Dont care.
I ended up purchasing both outside mirrors. *(UK style) from ebay of UK.
Thanks to a fantastic fellow dubber who lives in UK. I had mirrors shipped to his home.
He then had DHL ship them to me, in wisconsin.
They left heathrow airport tuesday around 11 am. I got them TODAY at 12:15 pm. Unreal.

Anyway, being they was used, there were a few broken wires and clips to deal with.
Ill be buying some new outer pieces soon.
Anyway,I had also purchased some other carbon fiber mirror caps that didnt fit my US versions.
Thank gawd I didnt give them away, or toss them. BECAUSE THEY FIT THESE MIRRORS.
Either way. They are on. They look sharp as hell, I think. But Im bias. Lol.

Over 2 years trying to get this setup goin.

So. THEY DO NOT MAKE SEQUENTIAL LITE SETUPS FOR US MIRROR VERSIONS.

Cant upload a video yet. Sorry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
European ones are alot sleeker.
Us ones are boxy/square looking.
Look good on a truck. Or suv. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Received my front strut reinforcement piece today.
Nice quality piece. 15 minute install. Lol.

Now what to tinker with, being as thats done, and garage is nice n toasty.?????🤔🤔😉

Attachments

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Picked up my freshly powdercoated wheels today.
Ran them and tires up to my favorite tire shop.
Got em done. Came home, and had to see them on the car.
I freaking love it!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
For today, boys n girls, our project was installing black leather w/red stitching, overlays on inner door panel armrests.

If I had more patience.....*(well, any, actually), they wouldve turned out nicer.

But I could always tear em off, and, have my son do them, like he did my center armrest cover.
Ive got enuff 3m tape, and, adhesive to do them again. Either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
34 Posts
Made some progress on the seats - bought myself a Bissell for Christmas - not bad so far but still not perfect. I will be putting beige seat covers on them to sell it. I have done the floor mats too.
The before photos are terrible - blurry and taken at night but the after photos are better.

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
Made some progress on the seats - bought myself a Bissell for Christmas - not bad so far but still not perfect. I will be putting beige seat covers on them to sell it. I have done the floor mats too.
The before photos are terrible - blurry and taken at night but the after photos are better.
Those look a lot better! Good job.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would have never thought those seats would have cleaned up that well. I don’t believe you will need seat covers. As a side note if I am looking to buy a car and seat covers are present the first thing I do is pull them off to see how bad the seats they are covering are.

If your intention is to sell this car you’ve cleaned those seats up so well, if the buyer wants seat covers let them buy their own. I would have been reluctant too even sit in the before seats, but now all I can say is great job.

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
Made some progress on the seats - bought myself a Bissell for Christmas
You inspired me Melissa! After taking care of the glow plug, I brought out my Bissel and did the seats. My Bissel is for carpet but it has attachments. I hope mine turn out as good as your did!

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
Ended up crippling my Beetle tonight. Needed to change a glow plug and the threads in the head are messed up. From the looks of the glow plug that came out, the previous owner had issues installing it.

Now I'm ordering a back tap and keeping my fingers crossed that it works.
Finally got this fixed today. The majority of the wait was USPS taking way too long to deliver the back-tap.

Used the back-tap to catch the lower threads that were still good, and backing it up to top to re-define where they're supposed to be, then used a thread forming tap to chase the threads from the top down. Cleaned the seating area for the glow plug, installed it finger tight then torqued it to 11 ft-lbs. Put some kroil around the GP, started it up and saw no bubbles so it's sealed tight.

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
34 Posts
Good stuff! I found spraying the fabric first with a multipurpose cleaner - I used Nifti but I don’t know if you have that over there - or try 303 cleaner - give it a scrub with a brush then use the Bissell - very satisfying seeing the dirty water getting sucked out.

Maybe I will leave the covers off.

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
Put a hole in the roof. . . .intentionally. . . . . and installed an NMO mount and a dual band antenna.
The sunroof cleared the mount no problem, but routing the cable out to the side was a bit of a pain. Wish my beetle didn't have a sunroof so the ground plane wasn't interrupted. Drilled the hole 5" back from the rear sunroof edge to clear the stiffener brace.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to mount a mobile radio. The beetle interior is weird - lots of wasted space. An ideal spot for a transceiver would the on top of the dash, but being directly in the sun would be bad.

2421 - 2440 of 2441 Posts